Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lame Bucks

Lame Bucks

Whilst out on a recce last week with the binos, I spotted a lame buck (usually leave the bucks alone mid rut) Since I was only 5 minutes walk from a rifle I thought about going to get one but decided to watch the buck for a while. He was limping quite badly on his back right leg, but with no obvious injuries, no breaks, no flesh wounds etc, I was only 80 yds away. So with some reservations I thought I'd give him the benefit of the doubt and leave him for a week or so. Anyway, went for a walk round tonight and came across him in vaguely the same area, with the rifle this time, with the full intention of taking him if he was still lame. He was absolutely fine, from walking without the use of a back leg last week, to walking fine this week - even having the energy to cover the doe he was with on 3 occasions while I was watching. I was pleasantly suprised to say the least, especially since he's a decent buck as well !!!

I've seen tups (male sheeps for the non agricultural types) get lame and clear up quickly plenty of times, but have never given deer much thought on the same subject. So if you do come across a lame buck, with no obvious injuries and if he's not in the cull plan, maybe leave him a week or so to see if it clears up, you never know !

Regards

Tom

cant speak about Roe But when i first started on the Fallow told the stalker saw two Good Buck's injured did not know what to do (very very good head's) he laughed and said " Bloody Hell if you shoot ALL the Bucks you see Limping etc this time of year your wipe them out ????? very puzzled i asked why " Been Rutting for a month" Long winded i know other Roe stalker (of which im not) my differ but id say effects of the Rut???????

Strange you should put this up pne of the lads out feeding pheasents today had a buck looking dazed and walking round and round in roughly 200yd circles looked distressed and carring its back left.when I shot it it had an old injury to the joint and one defromed antler.about yrs old only weighed in at 14.5kg.Untill I skin it can see nothing else wrong liver/lymph nodes etc all look ok

There's no benefit or doubt there's shot, sick and injured are for the quick exit first on the list , you do not know what is wrong with it, through a pair of glasses ,that's the problem out of the equation .

I don't wait for anything if I see a problem it is removed full stop, but again I don't wait about for the rut my task is to remove deer that's what I do .

Thankfully I don't have a problematic deer population on my land and can manage them at a pretty steady pace, saying that I've already taken 85% of the bucks I want to cull this year. I'm pleased I've left him 'cause he's got a cracking head on him and in very good body condition - good genes to be passing on. As Stalkerboydy said, its quite possible during the rut for a buck to become lame so I see no point culling him unnessesarily, if he'd had a visible injury i.e broken leg or flesh wound, then it would have been a different matter. If every sheep you had got the chop as soon as it became lame, by the end of the year you'd have very few sheep left and I see a deer herd as no different really.

Tom

TJ totally agree with you there is no pressure to shoot every one seen with me I think if the one I saw had been a good big buck i would have left it. WS seems to be in a differant position if he has a job protecting new planting then you work to a differant set of rules.

Oh for sure, its totally a hobby for myself, I do have to keep numbers sensible for the few farms I shoot for but I have no real pressure or cull target as such. If it was a tree / crop protection issue then he'd have been culled straight away, no questions. I've seen a noticable improvement in the buck's and doe's in the 10 years I've been stalking my patch so I would have loathed to have shot this really decent buck.

I gave a doe the beifit of the doubt the other night, been a buck it would have been dead. Simply killing every lame deer without some thought is very short sighted IMHO. She was lame (nothing obvious)(no followers seen, but they may not be with her now), so if in a week or two I see her again, lame and without young she will go.
    You must look at the big picture not just simply remove deer(unless you have to).

Quote Originally Posted by www.yorkshireroestalking. View Post
    I gave a doe the beifit of the doubt the other night, been a buck it would have been dead. Simply killing every lame deer without some thought is very short sighted IMHO. She was lame (nothing obvious)(no followers seen, but they may not be with her now), so if in a week or two I see her again, lame and without young she will go.
    You must look at the big picture not just simply remove deer(unless you have to).

100% correct If everything with a limp was shot, I would have been taken out a long time ago.

bogtrotter maybe you should have been maybe this grumpyshould be but who would be left to teach these young uns