Neck Turning

bk

Hi,
I got hold of a K&M turner and the finish is good but not perfect. There is some roughness to the necks once they are turned. Is this normal and if not how can I remedy it?

bk

I used to turn some cases. Once I had finished with the neck turner, I would use some plastic steel wool to give the necks a rub down before removing them from the zip chuck. Make sure you are getting a visible witness mark on the shoulder. It's easy to see the witness mark before applying the plastic steel wool.

Regards JCS

Cheers, Ill get some and give them a whizz in some.
I was thinking turning them quicker may help? Its like it does a clean cut but once taking the cutter back away from the shoulder the cutter scores the neck. I dont want to have to back off the cutter every time I take the cutter down.

I use a Lee zip trim to spin the cases, so spinning on removing the tool is easy.

Is your cutter sharp? I've resharpened my Sinclair one by removing the cutter and using a diamond knife sharpener: just try to keep the same angles on the surfaces, you don't want to change the cutter rake / clearance...

It should be sharp then, lubricating the cutter helps get a cleaner cut, also try not to remove too much with each revolution of the cutter, much easier if you're using a zip trim or similar. If it's a fairly deep cut, then you may find you need to have a few passes back and forth to get the right finish.

I didn't mean the depth of cut - 1 thou is fine: how many times does the neck go round? I'm guessing that if you're mounting the case on a handle, then it's not that many... I'd definitely recommend some sort of powered setup.

Dan

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2010/12/try-ballistol-lube-for-case-sizing-stp-for-neck-turning/ is an interesting article. I think some liquid lube is essential to keep the brass cool. I used the zip chuck in a power drill for spinning the cases. Somewhere in one of these articles it mentions to start slowly and finish slowly.

http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com/2009/12/reloading-neck-turning.html - another good read.

I use the past tense, as I don't plan any more neck turning soon. Better brass is the way to go in my humble opinion.

Good luck. JCS

Back