Thread: Ruger M77VT

Ruger M77VT

Hello
    i am seeking advice,i have a 77vt in .223 very accurate rifle problem is my ageing back is feeling the weight of the laminate stock does anybody know of a lighter stock that will fit the vt that would be cost effective to change. loathe to sell but may have to
    cheers

Only synthetic ones I can think of are Mcmillan but they would be expensive.
    BOYDS The World's Foremost Supplier of Hardwood Gunstocks. are doing a nice thumbhole laminate for your rifle at the moment but im not sure how much lighter it would be.

If you do find a light stock make sure it's a stiff one. Your Ruger probably has a stock that's bedded to the barrel at the front as well as at the receiver. I had a 77V with a wooden stock bedded that way and it really needed it! (It shot very big groups when I free floated it and superb groups again when I rebedded it as it was designed).
    A floppy stock probably wouldn't shoot well - That's why Ruger went the laminate way when they brought out the 77 varminters. - Heavy barrels on lightweight receivers need a stiff stock & laminate is very rigid.
    You could probably lighten the existing stock by removing material from low stressed areas, but you wouldn't loose much weight that way without weakening it.
    I feel that it's balance that makes a rifle feel heavy and the positioning of the sling swivels affects the feel. Try supporting the front end nearer to the muzzle and you may be pleasantly surprised. You could fit a new stud to the front end of the fore arm for this.
    Maybe you would benefit from carrying it barrel down, or by using a rucsac type double sling.

Ian

thankyou for the sound advice guys
    regards
    charlie

My advice would be don't change anything & put up with the weight. If necessary buy a better sling (Nigelloh rucksac type or their neoprene ones are good) because I sold my VT for exactly that reason and it is the worst thing I ever did.

Check out http://www.egpworld.com/RUGERVT/default.htm where "VT stands for very terminal" !

Unbelievably accurate rifle and would buy the old one back if it ever came up for sale.
    Last edited by Eyefor; 09-08-2011 at 07:31. Reason: Spill chuck
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

I think your right,should practice what i preach(if its not broken dont fix it)but am seriosly tempted to try one of the laminated stocks Palo sent me the link to, look great and i think they will be lighter than the ruger stock will have to make some enquiries
    many thanks to you lads for taking the time to reply
    regards
    Charlie

Bugga......

3 shots, 100 yards.

200 yards opened out to 1/2"

Best oal was 135 thou off.

Bugga again.

Should've kept it
    Last edited by Eyefor; 09-08-2011 at 15:43.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

I bought one for my remington and really like it. It is quite light for a laminate and the rifle handles a lot better.
    Quote Originally Posted by charliemac View Post
    I think your right,should practice what i preach(if its not broken dont fix it)but am seriosly tempted to try one of the laminated stocks Palo sent me the link to, look great and i think they will be lighter than the ruger stock will have to make some enquiries
    many thanks to you lads for taking the time to reply
    regards
    Charlie