Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DSC 1 Shooting test

DSC 1 Shooting test

Guys,

I'm doing my level 1 in the next month or so, how much shooting practice do you think is needed to pass the test? I reckon the more the better especially off sticks etc, just interested in what you guys think / how much you did prior to doing the test.

atb

Dave

Dave

Only you can tell how much practice you need. I suggest you get the details of the shooting test you are going to do from your course organiser and then go and have a shot at it. Once you have run through the test, review how you have done and plot your next moves.

Good luck. JCS

I meant to practice, but never did so specifically. I shoot a fair few bunnies off sticks (in the thousands) and found it very straightforward, even though I had never fired the rifle before. You don't need to be that accurate - it's a big spot on the deer target!

SD Regular
    As the others say, it depends on you and your experience. It's all pretty straightforward, but people tend to have less experience of the standing and sitting/kneeling elements compared to the prone.
    Make sure you practice these so you can do them comfortably and consistently. There will be other things to distract you on the day, like the others shooting at the same time. Range Officers can sometimes be pushy if people are slow and that can put additional pressure on. Make sure you do things in your own time and trust your instincts. Also remember that you can fail the Safety element of the test while on the range, so you need to be extra careful about live rifle handling. It's a bit like a driving test - when the instructor says 'mirror, signal, manoeuvre', you make it really clear you're looking in the mirror - the same goes here for muzzle awareness and safety catches etc.

Practice never hurt anyone......
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Make some quad sticks and make sure your zero is spot on and you wont go far wrong.

Dave

Dave
    Put the time in practicing until you are confident of hitting the target at the required distance using the apropriate gear.
    Then get someone to stand (safely) near too you and try the shots again while they are watching you.
    If, like me you usually shoot alone then when you are being watched it can be quite off putting. It was the most difficult part of the level 1 for me.
    Best of luck with it
    Alan

Thanks for all the advice folks.

atb

Dave

SD Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    Dave
    Put the time in practicing until you are confident of hitting the target at the required distance using the apropriate gear.
    Then get someone to stand (safely) near too you and try the shots again while they are watching you.
    If, like me you usually shoot alone then when you are being watched it can be quite off putting. It was the most difficult part of the level 1 for me.
    Best of luck with it
    Alan
    Good point here from Alan. You should also be required to wear ear protection - again, this can be a distraction if you're not used to it. Above all, get everything prepared. Have sticks etc. ready and enough ammo to hand, so that you just concentrate on the shooting. Make it a process and there will be less to unnerve you and you'll be fine.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

DSC1.... 3 shots 100m prone 4" area.
    2 shots 100m.
    2 shots 70m sitting or kneeling.
    2 shots 40m standing.

50% of failures are in the shooting part usually by expenienced shots that think they have nothing to do but turn up.

when I did my level 1 I practiced more off sticks as for the rest no problem remember your Breathing and squeeze the trigger,zero your rifle the day before so you are sure it is bob on,No need to be nervous, brush up on you Question and answer bit that is Just common sense ,Revise the kit that you would take on stalk Compass Rubber gloves Knives etc,I would suggest to arrive early so you can have a quick Gander at the things you may not be sure of.I had a really good day and I am sure you will to All the best.