English Boar are lovely

Blaser3006

Couldn't resist posting this:

can't get it to load into the tropy room for some reason. So I'll just have to stick em here.

20070825kevantom0006kl0.jpg
[/URL]
[/img]

Gerry

oink , oink

Boar

Dunno how you sleep at night :lol:

sorry I forgot you don't, you spend your nights chasing pigs.

Jer I reckon that ones from my side of the hill I recognize his face, big nose long hair and all that. :lol:

Wayne

Great beasts

Well done Gerry

How close could you get the vehicle? You wouldn't be wanting to drag those too far!

Cheers,

Rob

Cheers guys,

It's all very exciting stuff shooting them under the moonlight, even quite scary.
Rob
Luckily we were able to get the vehicle to them but even then they made us huff and puff.

Well done there matey.The look on your face says it all.
Tut tut at the man got you into the pigs, I thought her indoors would be glad I moved. :lol: :lol:

Hi john are the pigs as good in NZ, and its a long way to move just to be on the winning side at the rugby world cup :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wayne, that was just a mirror you were looking in... :lol: :lol: :lol:
From what I seen so far, and the pics I have shown hunters down here, pigs here are no where near the size of the U.K ones.
Mates here are amazed at the pics I`ve shown them,and yep Wayne you`r a cult figure here too with your gold medal one, well at least thats what I think they said you were. :lol:

The deer here are something else, Sambar,Red,Rusa, even Fallow, though I haven`t moved 1/2 way round the world to hunt fallow !!
I got a job to do on a small farm (approx 2000ha) culling Sambar, that should keep me amused for a bit.
And the bloke who I do that for says he`s going to take me down to Fjordland next year for a week or two,and from what I seen so far that will be hard hunting so we may take the N.Z version of diesel hunting,(from the helicopter) for a bit then get dropped in the mountains for a while.
Possums are great fun, especially with 44 mag.
As for the rugby, well ask the Italians.

JDM

Cheers John
You know I haven't got long hair anymore :lol: and yes I have been called a cult on more than one occasion.
Have fun with you hunting, they must build very large and strong helicopters in NZ if there gonna fly you in mate :D :D

English boar are heavy

Hi All
Thought I'd show you this chaps dental work. Ian a mate of ours shot him with us last night, be inersting to see if we have another medal when measured? There's another pic in the trophy room.
Jerry I couldn't find your name on him anywhere mate :lol:
DSC00483.jpg

Well done Ian, yep you def got another medal there matey.
Yours looked big when you shot it Wayne but the tusks didnt look that impressive, but as we got to know them more, we recognised a good un.
Well done again.

Nice to see another Hereford/Glos medal boar. Keep us posted on the score.

Congratulations - I am as jealous as hell!! By the way - what did he weigh?

Sorry just seen the tag on the Trophy Room photo.

Boar

Does anyone know what the record weight is for a UK wild boar?

I've just seen what's in the Trophy Room and that is enormous!

Rob

English Boar

Hi All
Rob the one I shot with John DM ( the Gold) was a heavier boar than this one, tusk and body wise but unfortunately we never got to weigh that one. I would like to here some of the body weights of some of the Dorset/Sussex Boar got to be someone on the site involved with them ?

Paul you seem to know a bit about the History of the Boar in this area, I would like your opinion on the Boar in the trophy room have a look at picture DSC00425 this boar was shot on the same ground as all the others. As far as I know CSL/Defra say these are pure bred, I personally think this Boar is a cross he looks much more pig like and hasn't got the wool like under coat just the long top hair. The Glous population is not a great distance away I think this boar has moved in from that area.

What do you think?

Wayne

Re: English Boar

WAYNE DAVIES said:
Hi All
Rob the one I shot with John DM ( the Gold) was a heavier boar than this one, tusk and body wise but unfortunately we never got to weigh that one. I would like to here some of the body weights of some of the Dorset/Sussex Boar got to be someone on the site involved with them ?

Paul you seem to know a bit about the History of the Boar in this area, I would like your opinion on the Boar in the trophy room have a look at picture DSC00425 this boar was shot on the same ground as all the others. As far as I know CSL/Defra say these are pure bred, I personally think this Boar is a cross he looks much more pig like and hasn't got the wool like under coat just the long top hair. The Glous population is not a great distance away I think this boar has moved in from that area.

What do you think?

Wayne

Wayne,

I'm no great expert but from what I know the boar where you shoot (I'm assuming that apart from John DM's old ground you are shooting pretty close to it, maybe over the hill) are, as you probably know, originally escapees from the farm at Weston and are thought to be pure East European stock and their size and tusks support this view.

The Forest of Dean stock that are spreading up from the south of the forest are in my view not so pure bred. I've seen photos of some that have very piggy characteristics.

With specific regard to the photo that you directed me to I actually don't think that this looks too piggy and given that the south Dean boar probably haven't reached your area yet, I would say its more likely to be pure boar. I would personally regret the boar in your area being diluted by the other boar in the area but it's going to happen sooner or later.

As I said, I'm no expert but I look at the colour and texture of the skin/hair and the shape of the head and snout and nothing about that pig looks too wrong for pure boar although I admit I'm not entirely happy about the thin hair covering.

The other thing that makes me think that it might be pure is that the animal must be at least three years old, if not more, and that means the crossing with the other boar population would have been four years ago and that is probably too early for any chance of piggy cross breeding from the other population as they definitely were not up that far then and have only actually been on the loose for a couple of years.

If you have no objection I could lift your photo and let Dr. Martin Goulding have a look - he is the guy behind the British Wild Boar website and an ex-DEFRA scientist.

In terms of comparative weights I'm not sure how pure the Sussex boar are but I have been told of a Sussex boar that went 465lbs clean but in the skin and of course the big old boy in your area will probably be at least as big as that. The only other current medal (Bronze) that I know of is from Dorset.

I think that John told me that he thought your Gold medal boar was around 325lbs and another of 350lbs was taken on the ground. I was out with him last year and saw one in this class at about 10 yards range, unfortunately I was carrying the 30-06 and couldn't find it in the scope before it ran off, had I been carrying the .458 Heym I might have got it.

Boar-cross

Hi Paul
the picture is probably not the best, the head did look longer than normal and the body was longer than the heavier boar we just shot but much leaner and lighter at 198lbs. I was wondering if this was a forest of Dene boar wandering looking for females/territory ??
You can use the pic's if you want.

Wayne

Back