Cost Of 'Genuine' Land Rover Parts

jamross65

I got a bit of a shock today when calling Stratstone in Edinburgh to get a price for parts for a service on my Defender 300 TDI.

I asked the guy what the cost would be for the fuel, oil and air filters and a sump plug washer. He came back and said that including the engine oil £134. I asked for a price without the oil as I can get it elsewhere, and he said £57!!!!

It takes a max of 7 litres!!! £77 for oil from Land Rover!!!

I contacted Partco in Edinburgh who will supply all the bits for about £20 plus £12 for a 5litre bottle of oil, so from them the oil works out at under £18 for my motor.

Do people still just walk into a garage and simply pay the prices being asked? I assume that is what they rely on.

My father-in-law was told once by a Land Rover mechanic after picking up his Discovery from servicing, that a customer bringing a Range Rover in is charged an extra £10 an hour in labour costs over the Discovery / Freelander owner. Same mechanics, same tools, same floor space...

Having problems with my disco. Had to replace the fuel filter at the side of the tank, Picked up a landrover one in ayr £45 for one filter, ouch. Mind you the power difference is phenominal and quietened down the pump. need an ACE filter next, another 47 notes unless I can source one on line, Jim

Stratstone Swansea charged me £870 on the last service for service and new rear pads on a range rover sport, the only reason I use them is to keep the warranty valid.

David

I have gone back to a Land Rover because of the price of Japanese parts. The last big one was for a power steering pump for an 04' plate L200 I had since it was a year old. Cannot remember the exact figure but it was around the £300 mark plus fitting. They also wanted my old one in the deal for re-conditioning.

A previous Isuzu Trooper needed a new fuel pump part (not the whole thing) £900!!!

They may need more work on them but would still rather pick up the spares costs on a 300 series Landy than a Japanese motor any day.

I am not trying to :stir: it!!!

Stratstone Swansea charged me £870 on the last service for service and new rear pads on a range rover sport, the only reason I use them is to keep the warranty valid.

David

Warranty not still valid on Land Rovers with servicing carried out else where?

i drive a 6.i jeep srt8 , the price from jeep for the last sevice £550 inc VAT , local garage £250 using all jeep parts and oils/fluids , same story with my defender , as long as the garage is VAT registered and the use original parts your warranty is valid

Jamross, You have far too much money. Stratstone????? I get most of my parts for Defender and Freelander from either Craddocks or Paddocks or Bearmach. These companies will supply you with quality parts, sometimes free delivery and will be on your doorstep within a couple of days (often sooner). My mentor in all things Landrover is a guy who works at a local garage. He has been the Scottish Landrover Owners Club overall winner for several years and what he does not know about Defenders is just not worth knowing. He swears blind that Landrover parts are superior to after market stuff.

paddock land rover supplies - Google Search

Or John craddock pick up a copy of land rover international they have all the companies in that sell anything land rover .

Gazza got it spot on any where else you've got to much cash ,with paddock the parts are on the door step the next day ,you have a choice landy parts or typed parts with paddock .

Had the ABS modulator go on a TD5 110 a few years back Land Rover wanted £1800.00 + VAT + the old part in exchange what a rip off.
Got one second hand for £180.00.

Now use Craddock or Paddocks.

John

I sell Landrovers, best quality and price for parts are Britpart. They make parts for Landrover only difference is the box and the price. They give you all the little bits that you cant get from other part retailers, pins and springs for calipers bushes for shockers etc

GT

My local garage once told me that thier technical folks had to do land rover courses and that is why when thay work on land rover thay charge extra per hour!

I use 252 spare's in Dumfries , on the white sands, David in there is phenominal on land rovers, 01387 257252.

I have been running discos for 19 years now and the only time i was imobile was a gearbox problem at 165,000 on the mark 1 200 series,my td5 mark 2 is happy as larry at 128,000, apart from sun roof leak.

ATB Barry

I maintain my Puma myself other than warranty repairs and only use genuine LR parts i get for buttons off Ebay.. Just priced a full set of pads @ £120 and got a boxed set of front and rears from two differend sellers for £45. Probably supposed to have been fitted to someone that doesn't check but just pays the bill? Dare i say the cheap filters etc may be a LR mechanic that takes the parts home rather than fit them?

Land Rovers don't leak oil, they are marking thier territory.....

Last edited:
I look on Ebay for all my Discovery td5 service parts,Ive just got a full service kit(original Landrover) for £60,No including engine oil which is a bit pricey,but i do buy the good stuff.I do all the services myself,they are really easy to do.
Atb John.

I buy all my oil on line from Lubetek, mind you it is fully sythetic. Worked out at £70 for 25litres delivered last time I had some, expect a bit more now.

D

Back