Thread: Advice required on ageing red stags and hinds prior to shooting them

Advice required on ageing red stags and hinds prior to shooting them

As per the title, I would like to be directed to the best article (in a book or online) that gives specific guidance and photos on what to look for as one assesses a group of red stags or hinds on the open hill prior to taking a single shot or walking away from them to look elsewhere. What I want to be able to do is to age the mature deer in the group and pick out the oldest stags and hinds.

Thanks in anticipation. JCS
    Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 09-08-2011 at 20:34. Reason: forgot photos

Try Management Of Deer And Their Habitat, Principles and Methods by A.J. DE Nahlik ISBN 0 907519 01 6.
    No photos but drawings and descriptions.

Sorry don't know of an article, but the general principal is the same as for other species of deer how they hold their head and neck etc.

JCS if you can age Roe on the hoof you should have no trouble ageing Reds

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    Sorry don't know of an article, but the general principal is the same as for other species of deer how they hold their head and neck etc.

JCS if you can age Roe on the hoof you should have no trouble ageing Reds
    Correct !
    If they are not alert head position is a good guide. Younger deer are more swan-like of head and neck positioning.
    Older beasts have thicker necks and the head is not carried as high, their bodies are also more chunky.
    With very old stags the head is carried low and in extreme cases may appear to be almost in line with the back.

HWH.

Quote Originally Posted by stag1933 View Post
    Correct !
    If they are not alert head position is a good guide. Younger deer are more swan-like of head and neck positioning.
    Older beasts have thicker necks and the head is not carried as high, their bodies are also more chunky.
    With very old stags the head is carried low and in extreme cases may appear to be almost in line with the back.

HWH.
    what if they have indigestion,or are just having a bad day?been bullied from a dominate yeld hind,,,seen many a stag turn from a strong hind.mmmm there is a lot to read in to deciding to cull an old red stag,personally i find them so much harder to tell than an old hind,possibly because i have mostly hinds,but the fact of the matter is on approaching a herd of animals,,guaranteed the old bugger will spot you.....normally.but if not and you are success ful to watch for a bit,the old girls will have lots of tell tails,waxxie looking ears,a long face,the body is starting to let go,with the belly starting to hang.........personally you will never age me that way.........and possibly the rear quarters starting to stick out like a bony dog.it works for me,cheers d.m

I agree with previous post ,the a j Nalik gives the principles and sketches to guide knowing the deer from continued observation gives you a better chance of making a good call. If you have only got stags in the rut all the above posts points and once grassed confirm your call with tooth wear.. It is a quite subjective thing with no one defining trait thats failsafe. I think there is some collated info from prfessional highland stalkers dealing with the same subject, possibly snh/dcs or forestry commission?

Mature quality Red stag.
    HWH.

Thanks to Husky and everyone else who has replied. I have ordered the book (Management Of Deer And Their Habitat, Principles and Methods by A.J. DE Nahlik) this morning. Regards JCS

Big belly,poor coat[lacklustre and possibly thinning},droopy shoulders,jowly. That covers the wifes` description of me.
    I think deer are much the same.