Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use dogs to find deer BEFORE shooting?

Anyone use dogs to find deer BEFORE shooting?

Has anyone trained there dogs to hunt out slightly and track deer BEFORE shooting one ?

I have seen lots about dogs tracking shot deer and bringing them down, baying them or just finding them dead, all a good job when you have a runner but does anyone use a dog to find the deer before shooting them ? Then tracking them down after a shot ?

Just interested to hear what you guys think of this ?

ALSO not really included but feel free to post some GWP pics lol, really like the look of these dogs

Most dogs that have been trained to track and locate wounded/dead deer will indicate the presence of deer whilst you are stalking. My BMH although a tracking dog will air scent deer and fairly obviously stops and stands sniffing into the wind. I will always sit it out for a while just to see if what he is indicating will come into my view. He has not been trained to do so but once the dog knows what "the game" is all about they know what you are after.

I was just wondering once your dog does this, what stops him then thinking there's a downed dear out there and running off and accidently flushing it ? lol!
    Be just my luck

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    Most dogs that have been trained to track and locate wounded/dead deer will indicate the presence of deer whilst you are stalking. My BMH although a tracking dog will air scent deer and fairly obviously stops and stands sniffing into the wind. I will always sit it out for a while just to see if what he is indicating will come into my view. He has not been trained to do so but once the dog knows what "the game" is all about they know what you are after.
    same here ! mine has not been trained too do this but stands and semi points (body locks up)the air scent,i usually let him work/walk 3-4 paces in front of me, he is then in my field of vision then when he locks up i move slightly forward to set up sticks if needed and he is then slightly behind/level and behind any muzzle blast! as gazza said once they know what they are doing they easily differentiate between air scent and blood ,once mine had done this once and he had a fresh track as a result he really picked his game up a notch ! no more breed debates but he is a gwpxlab

One of my cockers does the same and will air scent, not through training just does it naturally and quite strangely will go on point sometimes.
    She had a laid up buck marked in a bracken bed a couple of nights ago and I would have had no idea he was there without her.
    Only trouble is shes that small that often I miss her marking.

90% of my dog's work is locating deer before they are shot. It's a neccessity in young woodlands where deer numbers a relativly low (and need to be kept low) hence hard to locate without the dogs nose! With practice you can cover big chunks of ground just by quartering into the wind and letting the dog decide whether there are beast about.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigthug87 View Post
    I was just wondering once your dog does this, what stops him then thinking there's a downed dear out there and running off and accidently flushing it ? lol!
    Be just my luck
    Training

Quote Originally Posted by Bigthug87 View Post
    Be just my luck
    To be a deer dog and part of your stalking team a dog has to learn, be conditioned to and experience many aspects. Before we ever get to the stalking ground a dog has to be able to travel quietly in a vehicle usually with equipment stored all around their space, on arrival he/she must be under control so as not to ruin your outing. He/she must not to be fazed by the presence of other animals both domesticated and wild. During the stalk he/she should be alert to his/her surroundings and progress at your speed. If the dog does indicate deer the handler must be aware of the indication and in early times to immediately bring the dog under strict control. IMO dogs learn by association and a good dog will quickly differentiate between the scenario of a shot being taken, him/her being taken to a shot site, tracking harness being put on (the switch) and being asked to track and locate from him scenting deer whilst stalking and being quietly recalled to your side to wait. Barongcw encompasses all this as training which it is but I prefer to look on it as conditioning, building a working partnership between you and the dog so that he learns what is required and when.

+ one with Gazza on this,
    training is not the right word for this type of work, its about experience and conditioning.
    Sinbad

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    To be a deer dog and part of your stalking team a dog has to learn, be conditioned to and experience many aspects. Before we ever get to the stalking ground a dog has to be able to travel quietly in a vehicle usually with equipment stored all around their space, on arrival he/she must be under control so as not to ruin your outing. He/she must not to be fazed by the presence of other animals both domesticated and wild. During the stalk he/she should be alert to his/her surroundings and progress at your speed. If the dog does indicate deer the handler must be aware of the indication and in early times to immediately bring the dog under strict control. IMO dogs learn by association and a good dog will quickly differentiate between the scenario of a shot being taken, him/her being taken to a shot site, tracking harness being put on (the switch) and being asked to track and locate from him scenting deer whilst stalking and being quietly recalled to your side to wait. Barongcw encompasses all this as training which it is but I prefer to look on it as conditioning, building a working partnership between you and the dog so that he learns what is required and when.
    i think that just about sums it all up gazza! as sinbad points out training just does not seem to be the right word,its a working partnership that we are all after we all work differently as do our dogs and this understanding only comes with time spent together out working ,no books on the subject can give this !