Thread: A 2nd hand TIKKA followed me home tonight.

A 2nd hand TIKKA followed me home tonight.

Ok. It's not a stalking rifle. It's a 1940 Finnish rework of a Model 1891 Mosin Nagant in 7,62x54R. I was stopping in to have a second look at a long barreled Marlin 30-30 and saw this dusty rifle standing in the corner. The dovetailed forend gave it away as a Finn and the salesman proudly mis-identified it as a (common) Russian 91-30 and gave it to me for $125 US. It looked as tho it had been stored in a chicken coop.

When I got it home I found that the filth was largely dried preservative covered with dust. The finish is about 85% and the bore fine. A little wood oil put the shine back into the Arctic Birch stock. As a collector of Finnish Military rifles who has seen the supplies of Finns dry up and the prices escalate (!), I can't tell you how pleased I was to stumble onto this gun for a decades-old price. Thanks for tolerating my glee.~Muir

(PS: The Marlin had been sold! Always been lucky like that....)

Muir, congratulations on your find. The more time you put in, the luckier you get

Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

I'm saying nothing, ye who is short of space

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

FT: I do spend time at it. (Just ask my Ex)

JayB: It's not the space. It's the weight. I'm going to need to get an engineer in here to reinforce the flooring soon. Speaking of which... I think I still have a couple of your rifles languishing in my gun room, don't I????~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    FT: I do spend time at it. (Just ask my Ex)

JayB: It's not the space. It's the weight. I'm going to need to get an engineer in here to reinforce the flooring soon. Speaking of which... I think I still have a couple of your rifles languishing in my gun room, don't I????~Muir
    They'd be the rusty ones would they?

Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Quote Originally Posted by flytie View Post
    They'd be the rusty ones would they?

Simon
    No Simon, they would be the accurate ones , but my two amongst your God knows how many make no difference at all anyway they were there first

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses