Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning ASE utra S5 moderator

Cleaning ASE utra S5 moderator

Decided that the moddy is long overdue a clean. Tried unscrewing the baffles however they are not for moving, can anyone advise me if the baffles are held in the body with a left hand thread?

If not I suspect a long soak in meths or similar and some brute force will be required.

Thanks in advance

Submerge it, or fill it, with petrol overnight , loads of black crap comes out in the morning. Let it dry fully before firing of course. Works a dream.

Mick

I had one, what I liked about it was it couldn't be taken to bits. In an earlier thread I reported that I cleaned it in the ultrasonic cleaner and the feedback was that this wasn't a smart thing to do. I generally sit the moderator in the airing cupboard for a period before locking it away. If I really felt a strong desire to clean it, I might now use petrol, meths or some similar solvent. The problem I found last time was how to shake all the water out of the mod. After cleaning, I would want to be really sure that whatever I had used, was no longer in the mod. I spent ages holding it vertically over the sink and shaking it vigourously. Then put it in the airing cupboard to dry.

Unless you have been firing thousands of rounds, I am not sure I would bother doing anything. I only cleaned my moderator as part of the elimination process in pursuing an accuracy issue.

Good luck. JCS

Thanks for the quick replies, not sure how many rounds have been through it as I got it second hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Parsons View Post
    Submerge it, or fill it, with petrol overnight , loads of black crap comes out in the morning. Let it dry fully before firing of course. Works a dream.
    will give this ago with my northstar....would you recommend this?

I just spray WD40 into it after use to neutralise the residue and hopefully stop corrosion, not sure if anything is ever going to stick inside due to the heat after 10 fast shots
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

Quote Originally Posted by RWC2010 View Post
    will give this ago with my northstar....would you recommend this?
    Yes done a Northstar as well, same good result.

Why Do you think you know more than the manufacturer ? They are not designed to dismantle and do not need to be cleaned.

For info, got this from a Canadian web site which I can't copy over as it's PDF. It says to use WD 40 only, no solvents, although it warns that this can leave a smoke signature when the rifle is fired next if you need to worry about that sort of thing! Below is the link,

http://www.canadiantactical.ca/Docs/AUOwnersManual.PDF

Mick

Work at Defence Equipment Trade Shows and that's the only place I see them exhibit as a Company.

Advice given is never dismissive, only ever helpful.

Retailers may exhibit at Outdoor Shows but I've no exerience of interacting with them.

My experiance of the product is as a user, I'm not in the same trade.

Their products are not primarily aimed at hunters but at Military/Police.

Stan

Stan