Rivers West Field Pro Smock

merlin

I recently ordered a RW smock from Swillingtons, and it arrived whilst I was away on holiday, so was waiting for me on Monday.....so given the weather up here today (the phrase "grim up North...." doesn't do the rain justice :rolleyes:), it seemed an ideal opportunity to test out its waterproofiness :D.

Driving home, I found myself thinking "I hope it's still lashing it down when I get in....". Bizarre.:eek:

Anway - home I get, lashing it was, and on goes the new smock. And then I face the torrential downpour. And then for good measure, I ask my 2 kids if they want to turn a hosepipe on me (...and before anyone asks, no, I'm not getting any training in for being on the wrong end of a water cannon....:eek:). Unsurprisingly, they didn't take much persuading, envisaging giving Dad a bloody good soaking - at his request.:doh:

So how did it fare....?:confused:

I was absolutely bone dry. I had a pale T-shirt on underneath so I'd be able to spot any water ingress. Not a drop. Mighty impressed. (Kids were disappointed though :lol::lol:!)

The jacket itself is very comfy to wear, with a nice long back to cover your bum when you sit down, nice big central chest pocket to drop your bins in, and a slit behind the main pocket to either cool down with (as vents) or stick your mitts in to warm 'em up. Nice big hood to that will easily go over your hat, and a high neck at the back of the collar to stop the drafts.

There is a 'lower' pocket for ammo strips - not sure about that one, as the flap is magnetised, and I could envisage losing ammo if you had to crawl along, and it's not as easy to take on/off as a conventional full-zip jacket - but then to be fair, no overhead smock ever would be would it?

Early days I know, but I thought I'd give my first impressions, and so far, it's a thumbs-up.:thumb:

(As I wear it more, I'll post any further thoughts/feedback).

ATB,

Merlin

Merlin, glad to hear its get the thumbs up from you. You beat me to the review as i have got the pro smock and very impressed. I did buy the ranger jacket last year and it has not let me down. the bonus is the ranger trousers match up with the pro smock.:D

Swillingtons are bang on for old fashion customer service, nothing is to much trouble

they sound great im trying to decide whether to get one or not for stalking and foxing are they quiet and durable

Gr1ffer - mine does have a very slight 'rustle' to it, but I reckon that's 'cos it's effectively still brand new, and I'd expect that to diminish as it gets worn more (and TBH, I'm probably only noticing that because I'm holding it close to my head in a silent room and deliberately listening out for it.....would it make any actual difference out in the field? Probably not...). Too early to say re durability, BUT it does have a 10yr performance guarantee, and if it gets perforated (eg barbed wire), then it isn't supposed to develop into a big 'L'-tear (hope you know what I mean by that) but rather stay as a single small perforation.

JabaliHunter - I reckon with a couple of sensible layers in winter, you'd be toasty; in summer, unless you just wore a thinnish top underneath you may even be too warm....

If either of you buy one and need volunteers to turn a hose on you, I know where there is an 8yr old girl and a 13yr old boy that would willingly help out.....:D

ATB,

Merlin

Read this with interest as I had a sporting agent over some 7 to 8 years back who was sponsored by Rivers West clothing. It was very soft material and was considered to be some of the best of the latest gear out.

As we were stalking near Lochinver on the west coast of Scotland it did get some firm use. Now I do not remember what model of clothing it was, and maybe it was not the bone dry kind, I simply dont remember, but it was Rivers West as it was in white letters on the jacket and trousers.

It didnt work very well!!

But it sounds as though it works now, impressed if a garden hose on it didnt let any water in.

Back