Thread: Broken Leg Buck

Broken Leg Buck

Hi All

I shot this buck yesterday which had this fused leg bone from a serious fracture. I spotted it's unusual gait as soon as it first moved and was amazed that it was so mobile for such a bad break. It was running in a strange fashion as the foot was turned round the wrong way but it was still acting as normal apart from that ! |The head was a reasonable six pointer and was fairly symmetrical. ( see previous thread on this subject)

The bone mass is considerable as you can see from the thickness of the other leg. The animal was in average condition considering the rut and it's predicament etc. My guess is that it may have been a fence injury or something similar as the rest of the leg was normal.

A good cull buck but the poor b****r must have suffered previously.

Alan

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20110809-00017.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	697.8 KB 
ID:	8462

Name:	IMG-20110809-00019.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	618.2 KB 
ID:	8463

It is quite amazing what nature can glue back together.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitscavitch View Post
    |The head was a reasonable six pointer and was fairly symmetrical. ( see previous thread on this subject)

Name:	IMG-20110809-00017.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	697.8 KB 
ID:	8462

Name:	IMG-20110809-00019.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	618.2 KB 
ID:	8463
    The break, albeit fused looks recent, by the look of the scarring, which is still red, so i am assuming it has been done while the buck has been in hard antler, ie not affecting his antlers. Also, as the buck stops putting weight on the damaged leg and not using it the hoof grows longer, like the aladdins slipper bucks you sometimes see. I shot a buck a couple of years back that's leg was broken and healed and the hoof was really long as it was not being worn down, as the hoof looks fairly normal in this case, would suggest it's a fairly recent break as well.

I would guess, had he not been shot, there would have been some sort of abnormality on his antlers next year as the healing processes would still be at work on his leg affecting the bone growth of his new antlers.

Moose
    Last edited by moose; 10-08-2011 at 22:09.

Its amazing what they can survive, have had quite a few with broken bones that have healed legs usually, had a Roe buck last year appeared normal till I skinned the head prior to boiling,only to find that he had suffered a fractured skull at sometime, also had a doe once with no front feet don't know how she lost them but the stumps were completely healed
    and she was walking without difficulty.

One below arrested a few years ago.
    The end of the bone could be felt in the centre.
    HWH.

I've shot 2 roe bucks with broken legs this year. One fully healed with a mass of 'sponge' like growth around it the other a compound fracture which looked like the result of getting caught up on a fence and twisting the bone through the skin. The first buck appeared normal even though it had one leg about 2inch shorter than the other. The second one (compound fracture) was standing broad side on and looked in poor condition (combination of post rut and the injury) so I was unable to observe its gait prior to the shot.
    Amazing how much they survive with such bad injuries.

Tony
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Broken leg Roe doe.
    HWH

Another lame Roebuck.
    HWH.