Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beretta Silver Pigeon S 28b

Beretta Silver Pigeon S 28b

Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon S Game in 28 bore multichoke with 30" barrels.

Immaculate condition, very little use. Lovely crisp action. Most recent engraving pattern. Cased complete with 6 choke tubes, 2 choke keys and original Beretta paperwork. Stock is 15 5/8".

Lovely gun, very capable but I'm just not doing enough game shooting to warrant keeping it.

Secondhand with 30" barrels are like hens teeth!

£1,200.

Reading area. SGC only (stating the obvious!).

I have a 28g EELL and it is too pretty to use... had it 5 years and it has never seen any use.. its a waste but if you appreciate good handmade its worth it.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)

Someone is going to be lucky with this gun!

I have an identical Silver Pigeon S in 28g that I bought from a site member and used all of last season. It's a great little gun and more than enough for our high Oxfordshire pheasants . As well as pheasant I've had partridge, duck, pigeon, woodcock and magpie all fall to the little 28 bore. The best was a left and right at partridge and pigeon, where the pigeon had flown across a number of the other guns. You can carry a couple of boxes of cartridges in your coat pocket to last you the day and not worry about a cartridge bag or belt. Whilst your neighbouring gun might laugh at the little cartridges, you'll see the laugh disappear when you wipe their eye.

I'd be sorely tempted to buy this one and make up a pair, if only I hadn't bought a new rifle, scope, spotting scope....

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

A lot of good shots are moving from 12g to 20g to 28g as the rewards of hitting high birds with the smaller guages is much more rewarding and the longer shot-string reduces the risk of pricking higher birds with a 12g.
    Looking forward to trying mine out on the first few days of the coming season.
    Last edited by RED-DOT; 12-08-2011 at 14:17.

RRP on that 28 is £1865 but a wee discount would be had, not much though?

Sold pending the usual...

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOT View Post
    A lot of good shots are moving from 12g to 20g to 28g as the rewards of hitting high birds with the smaller guages is much more rewarding and the longer shot-string reduces the risk of pricking higher birds with a 12g.
    Looking forward to trying mine out on the first few days of the coming season.
    firstly 75 congrats on selling your gun its looks a beauty was really tempted myself on this one

secondly red dot
    I am not looking for a fight but your earlier post a couple back about pricking less higher birds
    with a 28 bore than a twelve is just nonsense a 28 bore on sensible birds in the right hands ok
    but high birds require big gun big cartridges and a good team of pickers up .
    we as sportsman owe our quarry that and must keep it as humane as possible
    regards pete .

My 28g can shoot 1oz loads higher than any 12g on full choke and the shot string on a 28g is way longer and stays together longer too, hence if the shot is on target will kill higher than any 12g. The top game shots have and are using 20/28g for this challenging shot. Are you the type that goes shooting with 3" magnums?
    It is all about choke, forcing cone and shot string formation.... or am i and others wrong?

Does shot size not also play a major part Red ?

The usual shot sizes often used for game would be UK shot sizes 7 (2.4mm) 6 (2.6mm) and 5 (2.8mm).
    Whilst the difference in the diameter might not seem great, the pellet count / pellet weight differences are quite significant and worth noting.
    In 1oz (28g) there are c.340 7’s, c.270 6’s and c.220 5 shot.
    Perhaps more significant is the individual pellet weight with 0.08g per 7 shot, 0.1g per 6 shot and 0.13 per 5 shot. This again might not seem much but it means a number 6 shot pellet is 25% heavier than a number 7!
    A 5 shot is 30% heavier than a 6 shot and an impressive 62% heavier than a 7 shot.
    What this translates to for the game shooter is the need to select the correct pellet size for the quarry to ensure clean and humane kills, especially on high birds.
    7 shot on a very high pheasant will simply not have sufficient energy to be consistently effective or humane and for these reasons should not be used.
    Use 6 or 7 on smaller game birds such as snipe, woodcock, pigeons and perhaps partridge where the distances are not excessive.
    6 shot on pigeons, partridge, and ‘average’ pheasants
    5 shot (perhaps even 4 shot) for high pheasants and ground game such as rabbits and hares.
    It is perhaps worth commenting that there is an increasing move by shooters towards larger shot sizes than have been used previously as they are finding the larger pellet size much more effective resulting in less wounding and more humane, effective kills.
    I do feel however there will be some who feel a great sense of Achievement, Skill, etc in taking high birds with the smaller gauge.

Rgds, Buck.
    Last edited by Uncle Buck; 13-08-2011 at 11:55.
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"