Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do these companies not realise we are all poor?

Do these companies not realise we are all poor?

60 for a Harkila non waterproof skip cap!! 90 for gloves with no trigger finger and look more like winter motorbike gloves!! Harkila have been reading too many in-flight magazines?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Harkila-Pr...item2c5b489351

http://www.johnnorris.co.uk/shop/ty_...ak-gloves.html
    Last edited by RED-DOT; 11-08-2011 at 16:26.

Prices for a lot of European stuff has got beyond ridiculous, Harkila is really expensive.

Rifles and scopes are mad. It really ticks me off when you see the prices of Euro stuff in the US, we are getting royally rogered.

I am as guilty as anyone, I have paid silly money for Blaser and Swarovski gear, it is just not justifiable any more.

Good quality British made gear is starting to look like value these days.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Well all the time people will pay it they will charge it .................................................. .......... Simple really.

VAT and exchange rates have a lot to do with it too...

Called into Litts Newport on Monday, wanted a pair of cheap cammo/green trousers for my son. Selection was completely crap and rediculous prices. Long time since I have been there, prices of everything seemed stratospheric, mind you 6+ staff milling around doing ? what.

Local outdoor shop in Taunton had nice Craghoppers in the sale for 20, realy decent well made garments.

I expect I will have a look in Oswald Baileys or wait to the MGF but as you say they do seem to be completly divorced from reality.

D

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Well all the time people will pay it they will charge it .................................................. .......... Simple really.
    + 1 Could'nt have put it Better, in general the people have beed get'n fleeced for years and have put up with it.

Just look at the price of a gallon of petrol or diesel .

Rgds, Buck.
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"

Let me give you a different perspective from Switzerland; prices are atleast double what you pay in the UK for scopes, guns and ammunition.

The pound has halved in value against the Swiss Franc as has the US Dollar, to the point where the UK looks positively cheap. However, Sterling weakness against the Euro has made European goods considerably more expensive to import. High end scopes seem to have increased in price by 40 percent over the last two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Conor1 View Post
    Let me give you a different perspective from Switzerland; prices are atleast double what you pay in the UK for scopes, guns and ammunition.

The pound has halved in value against the Swiss Franc as has the US Dollar, to the point where the UK looks positively cheap. However, Sterling weakness against the Euro has made European goods considerably more expensive to import. High end scopes seem to have increased in price by 40 percent over the last two years.

Amen brother!

[QUOTE=JabaliHunter;247386]VAT and exchange rates have a lot to do with it too...[/QUOTE

This really does not account for it. There is VAT all across Europe at varying rates and the dollar is just as weak as sterling against the Euro.

The are too many noses in the trough, taking too many large margins: importers, wholesalers, retailers all marking up as they move product on.

How much is a Tikka T3 in the states? About $600? Which is less than 400? How much is it here? 800? Oh yeah, when you buy a new Tikka or Sako in the US, it comes with a set of Optilocks gratis. Optilocks here? 135?

There are a raft of cheap rifles than retail sub $400 in the states that are 700 -800 here.

To be fair to the Euro optics manufacturers, they are shagging the yanks as hard as us.

Look at the price of a Leupold in the states compared to here, and the dollar is relatively weak against sterling just now.
    Last edited by Claret_Dabbler; 12-08-2011 at 13:26.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

[QUOTE=Claret_Dabbler;247455]
    Quote Originally Posted by JabaliHunter View Post
    VAT and exchange rates have a lot to do with it too...[/QUOTE

The are too many noses in the trough taking too large margins, importers, wholesalers, retailers all marking up as the move product on.
    Actually, the problem is the reverse, there are too few companies importing firearms. The whole importer business is too closely controlled between a few firms and so prices for different products and ranges is controlled and coordinated. Not enough people actually deal with the manufacturers is more the problem IMHO.

ATB,

Scrummy