Thread: Shooting practice - how & where?!

Shooting practice - how & where?!

I have had 4 paid stalks and last week managed my first deer. Besides the buck I shot from a good solid rest on a dry stone wall, I have had deer in the sights with the rifle on sticks and with hindsight was quite glad that a shot didn't present itself as I found it really hard to get a steady aim and am not sure I would have been confident enough to take the shot. I know 'buck fever' might have played a part but don't think for a minute that 1 deer will have made that go away and while I will definitely continue stalking I don't like the idea of practising on live game! Bearing in mind I have no FAC and no easy access to ground or a rifle what options are there for practice that might help me improve and make me more confident when I next have a shot?

Is it worth getting an air rifle and practicing with that?

Are there options for paid range practice near Glasgow for someone with no FAC?

Any other suggestions???

an air rifle and suitable ground to use it on, is a very good way to practice cheaply and safely, maybe see if there is an Airgun club in your area?
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by andyf View Post

Is it worth getting an air rifle and practicing with that?

Are there options for paid range practice near Glasgow for someone with no FAC?

Any other suggestions???
    Air rifle for practice... definitely! That's what they're for isn't it?

andyf... ???

Should I know you?

Quote Originally Posted by Tamus View Post
    andyf... ???

Should I know you?
    Don't think so... Same ID on salmonfishingforum?

andyf

There is a forum which lists clubs etc in your area

AirGun Scotland

HTH

Rb
    Last edited by rigboot; 11-08-2011 at 17:35. Reason: Found forum link

Dry firing with snap caps is a very good way to practice the actual pulling of the trigger,and can even help with a flinch.

Martin

Depending where in Glasgow you are there is the Clyde Valley Pistol Club in Ashgill North Lanarkshire that has a 25 metre indoor range that would siut you for practice.
    If you want more details, pls just PM me.

Regards

DavieH

Quote Originally Posted by re'M'ington View Post
    Dry firing with snap caps is a very good way to practice the actual pulling of the trigger,and can even help with a flinch.

Martin
    Ahh the trouble with that in this case is:-

Bearing in mind I have no FAC and no easy access to ground or a rifle what options are there for practice that might help me improve and make me more confident when I next have a shot?
    Dry firing is just a might difficult with no rifle to do it with wouldn't you say?

On air rifles may I suggest a spring powered one and not a pre charged recoiless one. The recoil although of a different nature with the springer still helps one develop a follow through after the shot.