Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever ?

Have you ever ?

Have you ever taken a shot and immediately after, had the terrible feeling of where the hell did that end up ! You continue stalking though not really concentrating ,just thinking about that shot . You drive home thinking about, that shot and for days afterwards you think about where that shot ended up . How do i know? it happend to me recently and i intend never to let it happen again . I would appreciate your views ?

Chill

Kind of depends where the rifle was pointed at the time? If it was a shot at a deer then there should only be two options :
    It either hit the deer
    Or it hit the ground behind it.

Have regretted a rushed shot in the past but never wondered where said shot had gone!

Tom

Yes and tj O to be so perfect, never had a bullet hit a blade of grass a twig you never seen and the deer just stands there, did the bullet hit the back stop or did it fly into the air, if you have never asked this question you have not shot enough.
    Chill was only asking the question as he is feeling sxxt about this bad shot and hopes to learn from it.

Should never ever happen but as you have found out it can. One thing for sure it will never happen to you again. Whether you want to keep beating yourself up is up to you.

Apologies I didn't mean for that to sound patronising or oh so perfect. Have had a few deflections that have resulted in clean misses, once badly shot a hind, through the rear end withers after a deflection and gut shot a buck in the same manner, but can't say I've ever had a miss or deflection that I thought to have pinged into the air. It does happen though and I can imagine what it must feel like.

Tom

Apologies I didn't mean for that to sound patronising or oh so perfect. Have had a few deflections that have resulted in clean misses, once badly shot a hind, through the rear end withers after a deflection and gut shot a buck in the same manner, but can't say I've ever had a miss or deflection that I thought to have pinged into the air. It does happen though and I can imagine what it must feel like.

Tom

Chill,

without getting into the details of your particular shot I can sympathise with your situation. I can think of a few situations where the original judgement can have been ok and then the outcome becomes less certain.

- you have a zeroed rifle and are aiming at the target. Upon the shot there is no reaction from your target. Where did that go?

- you have taken the shot and wether you have hit your target or not (bullets passed through) the scenery when you get to point of impact is not as expected/understood before you took the shot

- you hear the ever exciting "wheeeeee" as some quantity of your bullet decides to ignore the backstop it has just struck and disappears into the ether. ( I have heard the whirr of a ricochet from rounds that have hit both foxes and deer)

When I started out I used to look for the bullet strike the other side of the deer/fox as I was so concerned. The .22 in the summer still scares the crap out of me.

At the end of the day no one can reassure you that an errant round wont end badly but I would hope you can take solace from the fact that the decision to fire originally was the correct one and that the subsequent doubt/concern is due to diligence and is out of proportion to the real risk.

Quote Originally Posted by shootingduckdog View Post
    Chill,

without getting into the details of your particular shot I can sympathise with your situation. I can think of a few situations where the original judgement can have been ok and then the outcome becomes less certain.

- you have a zeroed rifle and are aiming at the target. Upon the shot there is no reaction from your target. Where did that go?

- you have taken the shot and wether you have hit your target or not (bullets passed through) the scenery when you get to point of impact is not as expected/understood before you took the shot

- you hear the ever exciting "wheeeeee" as some quantity of your bullet decides to ignore the backstop it has just struck and disappears into the ether. ( I have heard the whirr of a ricochet from rounds that have hit both foxes and deer)

When I started out I used to look for the bullet strike the other side of the deer/fox as I was so concerned. The .22 in the summer still scares the crap out of me.

At the end of the day no one can reassure you that an errant round wont end badly but I would hope you can take solace from the fact that the decision to fire originally was the correct one and that the subsequent doubt/concern is due to diligence and is out of proportion to the real risk.
    exact,and further more i have had many occassions with just such a wonder, you will be safe and keep that solid background,i can think on two occasions in two years with exactly the same person,stalking stags.and on approach too the exact stag i wish to cull we have shot with a clear and very safe shot and i have found a poor bloody hind after the shot,has fell and died to the round having traveled through,on the second time this guest arrived on the estate he shook my hand and commented on what had happened the year before.......i remembered and absorbed the thought and definetly said to myself,one off poor hind......we stalked for the day and up here i am stalking poss 4 stags amongst app 100 plus hinds.ok stalked the stag all good good distance good safe shot no hinds close...or with in 10 meteres radious..fired complemented the chap on a good clean kill approached gralloched the stag,loaded the stag on the pony,app 50 meteres right a dead hind...i went back to the kill and the firing point the bullet...a 308...had deflected of the fourth rib on exit and gone at a 45% angle and killed the hind,poor bitch..it happens and whither they talk about it or not,it definetly happens,cheers.

SD Regular
    Lamping bunnies with ,22 , head shot bunnie sat in front of a limestone rock , the rick o shy put the hebi gee bees up me .

That approx 6yrs ago and i can still remember it like it was yesterday .
    BE PREPARED IT WASNT RAINING WHEN THEY BUILT THE ARC

Quote Originally Posted by shudadunityonksago View Post
    Lamping bunnies with ,22 , head shot bunnie sat in front of a limestone rock , the rick o shy put the hebi gee bees up me .

That approx 6yrs ago and i can still remember it like it was yesterday .
    .22 will ricochet more readily than full bore.