bsa 7x57 mauser

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllll yes I happen to have a CF2 in7x57 or 7mm Mauser :p

Now the queation is which model BSA are you looking at or wish to find out about?

Hmmm accordign tto Knibbs book you have a grand choice of two models. To see which one your looking at take a look at the serial number and it's prefix:-

5B = Hunter (Medium Action length) Viscount

5R = CF2

Now to the body of your question................................................. "What they like"

I happen to thnk they are very good and well built rifles but if you are askign what ammunition they like that's a very subjective matter.. Mine likes the RWS 173 H-Mantle which gives 1 1/2 MOA or better grouping and is very effective on Roe Buck. It alos likes the 139 Grain Hornady bullet however condition of barrel will of course determine what "yours" likes. The earlier Hunter should have a cut rifled barrel the later CF2 has a hammer forged barrel. The Hunter has a very good adjustable trigger the CF2 whilst adjustable is nto as good IMHO.

thanks for reply its a hunter and I can have for £200 from a old stalking friend who is going to retire is it worth the money

Without knowing what it is and condition of said rifle how can I say.

Now can you try it out before deciding?

If the rifle is in good condition by appearance and it shoots OK how can one really go wrong for £200?

But if it's knocked about and the bore is badly worn or pitted then unless your prepared to have it re-barrelled then not really although the stock if good and the action should really be worth it but they are not in vogue with a lot of stalkers or shooters so can be difficult to sell. you could use that titbit as a haggling chip if you wish but as you say it's a friend so that's going to have to be your decision.

You also don't mention if it's scoped or not, or will it come with rings/mounts for scope?

Also ask him about usage and care. It should help you make up your mind and bear in mind most stalking rifles don't shoot a lot of ammunition really. I picked up a nice 1959 Vintage BSA Majestic in 270 Winchester a few years ago and the rifling is still nice and crisp with only slight wear to the throat.

Photos of the rifle would help

I'd jump all over that rifle with no hesitation; none whatsoever. That's about $320 US. Seven by fifty-seven factory sporters are so uncommon in this country that it would be considered a steal.~Muir

Comes with pecar scope & rings dies factory ammo brass & bullet heads not had a chance to fire yet but its done some work. Cheers

I have what is probably a hunter dating for the early 1950's.

Initially it fouled heavily and I had it lapped, 18 shots like a shot gun and then magic, its will shoot under 1” if I do my bit. Stock I refinished with tung oil, scope is a leupold 8x in hilver rings.

It’s my favourite rifle, paid £275 plus scope and rings.

Comes with pecar scope & rings dies factory ammo brass & bullet heads not had a chance to fire yet but its done some work. Cheers

Then buy it NOW........................... take the price of the Pecar off and the rifle is less than £75........................................ if the barrel is poor then John Knibbs has some new ones. If he has a 7x57 I do not know but I cannot see really how you can go wrong on this one.

I have what is probably a hunter dating for the early 1950's.

Initially it fouled heavily and I had it lapped, 18 shots like a shot gun and then magic, its will shoot under 1” if I do my bit. Stock I refinished with tung oil, scope is a leupold 8x in hilver rings.

It’s my favourite rifle, paid £275 plus scope and rings.

Strange as at that time all BSA barrels were cut rifled and lapped.................... something that is regarded as a custom feature today but was considered normal practice then. Perhaps someone had used corrosive ammunition through it and so it had pitted a bit and the lapping cleaned and smoothed it.. Mind you the barrel on my 270 Stutzen is mirror smooth and it fouls but that's because it's tight. Hmmm perhaps yours was too hence the fouling reduced by lapping.. it eased it slightly.

John Knibbs only had 7mm mag barrels, hence the decion to have my barrell lapped.

Hmmm strange as I used a 7x64 CF2 barrel on my .280 Ackley project. Although the thread tennon is slightly different in length the thread is the same and I adapted the CF2 barrel to fit the 1st Pattern Monarch action. Perhaps he has discovered more barrels since you enquired. I chose the CF2 barrel for it's heavier knox form over the correct Monarch/Majestic barrel profile and he also said he has these in 7x64.

Back