Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fired Carcass health impilication

Fired Carcass health impilication

Can any one tell me what the exact health implications are should a fired carcass inadvertantly enter the food chain?

An old boy near me told me recently that August is known (to him) as the dog days / dog meat month, but, is a fired carcass safe for dog consumption? Back in the day's would fired carcass's be sent to the nackers yard for dog food? Would there have been any adverse affects?

Ali
    Last edited by aliS; 13-08-2011 at 20:01.

Excuse my ignorance, but for the benefit of us novices, what is a fired carcass
    Cheers
    Tikat3

Its a carcass that has suffered heat retention after being shot, i.e. the carcass has not cooled properly.

It would most definitely gone through our local Knackerman,he would take absolutely anything.

Quote Originally Posted by re'M'ington View Post
    It would most definitely gone through our local Knackerman,he would take absolutely anything.
    That's pretty much what I thought, so if it was safe for the dogs why is it not safe for people?

Quote Originally Posted by aliS View Post
    That's pretty much what I thought, so if it was safe for the dogs why is it not safe for people?
    There's safe, and there's saleable. Then there's legal.
    With a carcase that's "fired" it's already past it's best before it gets to the point of sale, which seriously compromises it's shelf life. If all it's destined for is processing into dog food, this is no longer an issue.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Would you want to eat it, I don't think so, a fired carcase was usually spotted in the larder before it got anywhere near the food chain,if it did get as far as the game-dealers it was condemned and went to landfill [ at least at my Game-dealer]

Quote Originally Posted by Harry mac View Post
    There's safe, and there's saleable. Then there's legal.
    With a carcase that's "fired" it's already past it's best before it gets to the point of sale, which seriously compromises it's shelf life. If all it's destined for is processing into dog food, this is no longer an issue.
    All meat that goes into dog food has to pass meat inspection and be fit for human consumption. I wouldn't feed diseased flesh to my dog, that is what the OP is suggesting here.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    All meat that goes into dog food has to pass meat inspection and be fit for human consumption. I wouldn't feed diseased flesh to my dog, that is what the OP is suggesting here.
    I don't think there's any suggestion of the meat being "disseased". Meat at that stage is still fit for consumption, it's just not legal to sell it as such.
    There was a case in my home village a few years ago where two idiots were getting hold of shelf expired chicken, washing it and selling it to local "restaurants" for use in dishes where the appearance could be disguised. No one got ill from it, but they were acting illegaly and when caught they both did time for it. Although legally all the meat was unfit for sale as food for people, alot of it was destined for pet food until they intercepted it.
    Last edited by Harry mac; 13-08-2011 at 23:45.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Not sure I would bother with it but if you must then make sure it is thoroughly cooked through. To try and kill any bacteria rather than kill your dog!!

Dave