Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skull prep for the beginner

Skull prep for the beginner

last evening i shot my first deer, only a muntjac but its what i went out for. a small specie but little easier to handle.

the head is still on body and in velvet so where do i go from here.
    please put me right where needed.

skin off head so i can see what im doing before detaching from neck.

string the antlers and place skull only in boiling water for 45 minute for a muntjac

when skull cools a little, clean off and wash in cold water.

fish out the tusks and nasal bone, glue back in place.

now this is where in stuck. whitening with hydrogen peroxide. what do i ask for as chemist. what % to water do i use and for how long do i soak.
    do i wash off after.

sorry if im sounding thick....your probably right.haha.

one more question, will this stupid grin wear off soon?

thanks guys.

All the best

Phil.

Detach from neck before skinning,this is really easy to do but much easier if you know someone that can show you than it is to explain. Just ask for hydrogen peroxide at the chemists get the strongest they stock, the stuff stocked by a chemist is not that strong, use it as is don't dilute rap skull in cotton wool kitchen towel will do, soak in peroxide leave overnight or around eight hours remove kitchen towel and rinse, if you have a good sunny day leaving in the sun to dry off can enhance the bleaching.

Alternatively as you only have one head to do, go to a hair salon and get a tube of peroxide paste apply to skull with brush an old tooth brush is ideal leave overnight rinse, jobs a good un.

Oh forgot to say apply peroxide to damp skull works better than applying to dry skull.

thank you BogTrotter.

I have put in freezer for now so i can get the bits that i need and then go do it.

thanks again
    Phil.

Hi Activevii,

I'm in the middle of doing one. went and bought a kit from bush wear, it's called the Skull bleaching kit. I'm sure they get the components from snowdon taxidermy, any way I digress, the skeltal bleech in the kit is very strong (35%) and will bleech your skull white in very short period of time, and if you don't wear gloves ( as I didn't) sorts your hands out as well but not in a good way.

As an alternaive, if you know any friendly hairdresses have a chat with them hey should be able to get hold of some 12% peroxide akes a bit longer but probably cheaper.

jase

I bought some at the chemist today and now after reading the 35% im a little concerned as this stuff is only 9%
    I have potassium permanganate on order as well.

If this peroxide doesn't work can i redo it at a liter date with stronger stuff?

All the best
    Phil.

It will work, just takes longer.

wrap in cotton soaked batts and then plastic bag for 8 hours is it?

Dont put your self down when you say only a muntjac there will be many people on this forum that have never seen one never mind shoot one.Ithink its always best if you are shown how to prepare a trophy.Well done anyway on your first munjac.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Hi Activevii,

I'm in the middle of doing one. went and bought a kit from bush wear, it's called the Skull bleaching kit. I'm sure they get the components from snowdon taxidermy, any way I digress, the skeltal bleech in the kit is very strong (35%) and will bleech your skull white in very short period of time, and if you don't wear gloves ( as I didn't) sorts your hands out as well but not in a good way.

As an alternaive, if you know any friendly hairdresses have a chat with them hey should be able to get hold of some 12% peroxide akes a bit longer but probably cheaper.

jase
    The bushwear stuff works well enough but a bit expensive, ok if you are only doing a few heads but as I am doing in excess of two hundred per year I need a cheaper option.

Quote Originally Posted by activeviii View Post
    I bought some at the chemist today and now after reading the 35% im a little concerned as this stuff is only 9%
    I have potassium permanganate on order as well.

If this peroxide doesn't work can i redo it at a liter date with stronger stuff?

All the best
    Phil.
    It will work as has already been said, just takes a bit longer, better if you can get stronger stuff but there is a limit on the strength you can buy over the counter.

What ever you do don't be tempted to use normal bleach, it appears to do a good job but a few weeks or months down the line the skull will crumble and fall apart as after a while it turns bone to a substance like chalk.

Lets know how you get on with it, the first ones a bit daunting, but just take your time you will be fine.