Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: one gun

one gun

hello guys
    i am cosidering cutting back on guns becausei spend to much time reloading for three different centerfires ie load testing i would keep 243 for deer and fox duty but i would like a more expencive rifle any advice mybe sauer rpa or blaser any advice would be greatly received
    thanks colin

Go for a full custom job

Atb Steve

One gun only & if it goes wrong you have no gun. So get soething to overlap with your 243. As for make, you won't go wrong with Sako or Sauer for conventional bolt action or Blaser if you like over complicated fine engineering. 30-06 is as good a big round as it gets for all round versatility.

Ian
    Last edited by Yorric; 14-08-2011 at 09:03.

The top off the shelf makes out there really are Blaser or Sauer. Calibre? I'd pick one of the 6.5/.264...probably .260 Rem. or 6.5x55 Cheers,
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Hmmmm now how many have actually had a rifle break down?

Not many i'll bet

Now as to the one rifle firstly you'll need to make up your mind what you want as to style and type of action. Some like the tacticool and drastic plastic look. Others something milder and others traditional wood and blacked steel. I can see you having much fun with this journey..................... it will interesting to see how it turns out and what you decide upon and what you end up with as they might not be the same.

Brit
    Have you honestly never heard of a Remmy loosing it's bolt handle or an extractor spring breaking, or cr*p clogging a firing pin, or scope or mounts mounts falling apart?? Usually happens to newbies who are still learning or naturally lazy people in by brief experience (40 years). Or as happened to me just recently when one of my very trusted Pecar scopes developed a delamination or cracking of the eyepiece lens rendering it & my rifle "broken down" till I got another scope bought & zeroed.

Ian

A 308 or 30/06 is a great companion to a 243 for UK and Ireland.

Regarding makes, Sauer, Sako or Blaser.

I have an uber tasty Blaser in 30/06 that I might part with if someone wanted to pay enough dosh....

Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by rem708cdl View Post
    hello guys
    i am cosidering cutting back on guns becausei spend to much time reloading for three different centerfires ie load testing i would keep 243 for deer and fox duty but i would like a more expencive rifle any advice mybe sauer rpa or blaser any advice would be greatly received
    thanks colin
    Colin

It's an interesting challenge. I jointly hold 3 centrefires and that has worked quite well. It has handled significant periods where rifles have been restocked, rebarrelled, threaded, wandered the country looking for someone to mount a scope on it, etc.

The challenge will be reducing from 3 semi-custom rifles to 2 when my Dad stops stalking. Although a lot of money has been spent on them, they aren't worth selling. I am using the .243 for all my stalking at the moment, and to avoid spending time on developing a 100gr load, I bought a box of 100gr Remington Core Lokt yesterday. On testing it this morning, the two shots I fired at 100 yds touched. My one suggestion, would be to use factory ammunition for the rifle that is either used least, or has most factory ammo available. The poor rifle purchasing decisions that I made in the '90's will haunt the rest of my stalking career.

Good luck. JCS

JCS makes a good point ref factory ammo. I use the 30/06 only rarely, and I have found that it does .6-.7 with Privi Partisan 180gr's. This is more than good enough for my purposes, and at £11.50 per box, there is no point in even trying to reload for it.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Being a bit of a softy I'd never buy a pretty or expensive gun because I'd be scared to scratch it. Baring that in mind if it's a tool to do you a service then Tikka t3 in stainless synthetic is perfection for me anyway.