Thread: search for book finally ends

search for book finally ends

after a long search of 2nd hand book shops and trawling the internet ive finally managed to purchase a copy of pack and rifle by philip holden first edition 1971 in VGC,id set my self a budget of £50 but after looking on amazon and seeing it for £115 i set off on a global search,i was even offered the loan of a copy from a member of the NZ fish and hunt forum which i kindly declined[worried it may have gotten lost or damaged] any way ive just payed £30 + £17 postage ,£3 left for a pint result.wife thinks im nuts and continually complains about the ever growing book collection mainly on deer related subjects.women eh just havent got a clue .just like the words of rudyard kipling, a man can never have too many books too many bullets or too much red wine

I too like the jaunts of Holden, "I have his Holden on Hunting" bought 10 years ago in Christchurch NZ for the equivalent of £4.00.
    Thanks for re-whetting my appetite nemo, I must start looking for more.

yeah got that one as well, theres a harry bimler one called my deer life thats a good read for not alot of money on evil bay

I thought you were going to say flyfishing by J R Hartley. You have been rewarded for your patience. I always have a swatch through the books at car boots and charity shops etc mostly its crap, tarbucks golfing anacdotes etc, but occasionally you turn up a gem. Got hugh falkus sea trout for £1 a couple of years back.

Have a look at 'Trade Me' NZ equivalent of Ebay - lots of great hunting books by Phillip Holden on there.......enjoy the read !!!

Dick Morris.. "A Sock in my stew." is a good read on contract NZ deer cullers.

Quote Originally Posted by pete evans View Post
    I thought you were going to say flyfishing by J R Hartley. You have been rewarded for your patience. I always have a swatch through the books at car boots and charity shops etc mostly its crap, tarbucks golfing anacdotes etc, but occasionally you turn up a gem. Got hugh falkus sea trout for £1 a couple of years back.
    I too am always on the look out for books. A couple of years ago I managed to pick up a slip cased set of the Karamoja Bell books commissioned by SCI, for £15 at a 2nd hand book shop. Read them all a couple of times and then shifted them on the bay for over £80.
    I also managed to get an Ian Skennerton book on bayonets for £6 at a country fair which sold for just under £40.
    My wife's always complaining about the amount of books I own as well, but I was always brought up to believe that books were to be respected and looked after. Even though my wife's a teacher, she just sees them as summat to gather dust. Philistine.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.