Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrying a rifle across europe

Carrying a rifle across europe

I work in Norway during the autum,normally travel on north sea ferries and carrying my .308 for elk hunting was not a problem,This year ive been told we are taking the euro star,then driving across to Kiel and taking the boat up to oslo..

Can anyone forsee any problems carrying a rifle......

Quote Originally Posted by nell View Post
    I work in Norway during the autum,normally travel on north sea ferries and carrying my .308 for elk hunting was not a problem,This year ive been told we are taking the euro star,then driving across to Kiel and taking the boat up to oslo..

Can anyone forsee any problems carrying a rifle......
    Take it you have an Europas. I would also email the train company and have their printed answer with you in case you meet an overzealous conductor.

Been on the chunnel with rifle & shotgun. Just have FAC + Europass & declare when entering. Police/security will clear firearms & ammo. put a hazard sticker on the car & off you go. Shouldn't be any problem at any border crossing.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Thought France had a ban on 'military calibres' thought that included the .308? You could have a problem here.

That they do & .308/7.62 is certainly a military calibre......however, transit through the country shouldn't be a problem, whereas use in France most certainly would be.
    I'll check with a man who knows & get back on this one.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

If you are going by train rather than just car via the tunnel I would contact them. I used the train last year getting on at Ebbsfleet and was subjected to a 20 minute search as was everybody else. I asked at the time about carrying firearms and they stated that you would have to contact them and probably join the train in London. If I had turned up with with the rifle and euro firearms pass I think I would have missed my train.Have just returned from shooting in Belgium and my host stated that French Customs officers were starting to become awkward about transportation of weapons in and out of France with emphasis on all of the supporting paperwork.

I took 101 items through Dover last year for a German dealer and the boys in black were called from the Folkstone terminal but after clearing up some confusion they were fine with me and after 4.5 hours off I could go on the ferry.
    Call customs at the terminal as the rifle will be out of the country longer than for just a holiday period (I did this always when I was going to the US) and ask to speak to the people that deal with firearms related issues and they should smooth the way they usually book it into a register to know where stuff is going.
    Hopefully Norway has not gone knee jerk as the UK did after Dunblane.
    All the best
    Martin

Right nell, this comes from a Frenchman who knows what's what. I quote:

Military calibers such as .308win are considered as weapons of 1st category and are only allowed with special import licences etc... etc... Even transit will ask you to justify a lot of documents.

Firearms of military calibers can be used France only for sport activities and never for hunting, you may know people having hunted in France with 30-06 or so but the use of military calibers for hunting is totally forbidden.

Coming to France (even for Transit) with a weapon in military caliber is a risk I wouldn't take, you may be controlled and this may ruin your journey. Controls are stronger at the borders since France may be a target for threats so don't take this risk or SarkoLeon (Sarkozi+Napoleon) will be rude with you...

Now, if you take you the ferry in Rosyth and land in Zeebrugge (Belgium) you won't have to cross the borders of the "froggies".

You must of course have your European Firearm circulation certificate and if you cross Belgium, but also must insure that your rifle is locked in a rifle case and bearing a trigger lock or beeing dismounted in the locked case.

Ammo must be carried separetly in locked case.
    So, the answer is.....Get Eurostar to go another route & don't go via France! Cheers,

Thanks for that mate, what a bummer....

Thats what the law says... I know of at least 2 people who have done just that in last 4 months. But, i wouldn't take the risk

Through Belgium?