Thread: Anyone ever cooked Venison on the camp fire ?

Anyone ever cooked Venison on the camp fire ?

Anyone ever camped out and cooked there days kill over the camp fire there and then ?

It seems everyone these days takes them and hangs them in a chiller for a few days.
    Just been watching this vid and looks like a great experience Just wondering if anyone has done it.

Does the fire come lit too !!

I can tell you now, you don't need the fire to have a chew on the liver! A Danish client once asked for the liver from a freshly shot beast. So I cut it out and after his example we proceeded to eat it there and then on the hill! With regards to cooking your kill whilst out camping, well all I can say is try it. It tastes sooooo much better than any other way of cooking it. It's bringing back many happy memories. Think I'll have to grab another beer now and close my eyes too take me back.....

I did it with Tommy Gazzell in Africa, cooked it using an off set fire pit and it was excellent!

The Aussies do a lot of camp fire cookery, most of their shooting and hunting mags have an article on camp fire cooking quite often game. Their camping shops have lots of cast iron camp cookwear, dutch ovens tripods for kettles etc. I suspect if you searched some aussie web pages you would turn something up.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Bigthug87 View Post
    Anyone ever camped out and cooked there days kill over the camp fire there and then ?
    Not "there and then" I must confess, but I cooked the munty I shot on Tuesday last week over a campfire with some friends last night and it tasted soooooooo good

(dutch oven: munty, panchetta, onions, carrots, thyme, juniper berries, red wine, beef stock)

Quote Originally Posted by stig View Post
    Not "there and then" I must confess, but I cooked the munty I shot on Tuesday last week over a campfire with some friends last night and it tasted soooooooo good

(dutch oven: munty, panchetta, onions, carrots, thyme, juniper berries, red wine, beef stock)
    Fecker.

Wife has been away all weekend and I have been roughing it, and you tell me this??

I'm starving now....
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Hundreds of times - in the dark continent.

Procedure -

Shoot beastie (wildebeest, impala, grants etc)

Skin, butcher and cut out backstraps.

Hang backstaps in thorn tree to 'mature', give the rest of the meat to the watu. Salt the skin.

Light fire and get it really hot. Drink several cold Castles whilst doing so.

Put on a heavy grill to fire, wait till its hot.

Cut off sufficient slices of backstrap, oil and bung on grill.

Max ten minutes and you have dinner.

Several more beers.

Sleep of the just.

dutch oven

I just bought one of e-bay, a 4.25qt dutch oven for doing venison. I have no connection with this seller other than he was local so I could pick it up; but at 23.99 with free shipping I am impressed at it being the cheapest on the net and good quality.

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Can't wait to use it now!