Landrover Mechanic Advice Required

EMcC

Hi Guys, I know this is not stalking related but I am sure some of you will be more familiar with vehicles than I am, so here goes.
If the question seems too simple I can assure you I am not taking the P**s.
I have an 09 plate Discovery 3 TDV6 XS.
Recently I had problems with the height adjustable suspension and took it to the garage where a new compressor was fitted.
Today I went to take the front panel off to remove the grass seeds that accumulate below the radiator and found it was only held on with two of the plastic turn studs, five were missing.
These are not level with the ground, so not able to be rubbed or grazed off by grounding.
So my question is, does the panel have to be taken off by the garage mechanic to get to the compressor ?
Is it possible that they have been taken off and not replaced.
I cannot imagine all five would turn themselves round, work themselves loose and fall out at the same time.
I should not think they are very expensive so cost is not an issue, but quality of work is more my concern.
So guys where is the compressor situated?

The compressor is fitted on the chassis just in front of the offside rear wheel.I am no mechanic but when your wallet gets hit for a new one you want to know where it is.You can buy a sump style gaurd to protect the unit.I have a slightly older Disco 3 and my studs are missing.There are now cable ties holding it on.Unsure if again they were not put back after a service or have fallen out.

Landrovers have a 3 year warranty, go to your dealer and get some for free.
It doesn't always work out like that. Some items are classed as consumables or things that I am supposed to check periodically.
I recently had my handbrake jam on and it took nearly half an hour of the most horrendous noises before it released.
I took it in under warranty and had to pay £41 to have 'whatever it was' under the car cleaned as it was full of dust and grass seeds.
Apparently that bit did not form part of the servicing, so no warranty and yes I did get on to Landrover UK and ask if that was correct.
They confirmed it is, 'something they will be looking at in the future' but during the meantime it's a cough up job !!
Mark, Thanks for the info. It would seem then that the mechanic had no reason to go to the front area below the radiator, so the mystery deepens. That is the second compressor I've had fitted since new.
I only have to hang on to it until March, as that is when the guarantee runs out, I get it changed then for another.

Landrover Mechanic Questions! LOL..why don't we just set up a Forum section under that name, it would get a LOT of traffic:stir:

I bought the Landrover specifically because it had the suspension adjustment facility but two Compressors to make it work is making me wonder if it was worth it.
I know it is under guarantee but it means time in the garage instead of on the road.

Make sure the slides on the prop shaft are getting greased. The shaft slides in and out very slightly as you raise and lower the car.If they get dry and sticky the compressor has to work harder and kills it quicker.

GT

Alright, alright all those that held their breath and showed immense restraint from posting, Plonker, Twit, Idiot and all the other names that were going through your mind when you read my post, for that I thank you;)
For those that don't know what I am going on about it was quite simple.
As I had some work, a new compressor, done on my vehicle I suspected that the mechanic had not replaced some turn studs that were missing on a panel on the front of my vehicle.
It turns out that the compressor is at the rear of the vehicle and the panel on the front is only a blanking panel for -----wait for it ----- a towing ring :rolleyes: and nothing else.
The garage did replace all of them free and suggested that I had hit a steep bank or log or some such thing and instead of breaking the panel it moves and breaks the studs :doh: so all those that held their breath and refrained from telling me what I am, can now exhale and call me what you like as I now know exactly what to expect :oops:
Chopper, I had a swing by the Toyota garage while I was in town and had a look at a Landcruiser but at £45 k is just a little over the top,:rolleyes: but the five year guarantee sounded good.:)

I know it is under guarantee but it means time in the garage instead of on the road.

A guarantee to need time in the garage - sounds like LR to me! LOL...:lol:

...A Citroen system in a LR,,as long as they don't adopt the XM body-styling?:eek:

I had a Freelander shortly after they came out.
I had so many visits to the garage, drinking coffee and eating chocolate biscuits each time, that I put on nearly two stone :D

A guarantee to need time in the garage - sounds like LR to me! LOL...:lol:

...A Citroen system in a LR,,as long as they don't adopt the XM body-styling?:eek:

Yes the French have some strange ideas on style but even Rolls Royce I understand have used the Citroen system. I ran a BX 17TD for about 8 years until nice White van man wrote it off for me.

I had so many visits to the garage, drinking coffee and eating chocolate biscuits each time, that I put on nearly two stone :D

Eddy,

That'll be it then, the tow hitch plate is dragging in the dirt under the extra weight! :lol:

Put the deer in the boot, it'll level things up! ;)

Alex

Yes the French have some strange ideas on style but even Rolls Royce I understand have used the Citroen system. I ran a BX 17TD for about 8 years until nice White van man wrote it off for me.

Rolls royce used the hydraulic systems similar to Citroen and like the citroen system it was a disaster. They ran the main pump off the engine which leaked mineral oil into the sump and destroyed many a roller engine. Jaguar tried soemthing similar for power boosting brakes and self levelling suspension with the XJ40 and it lasted 4 years from 1986-1990, you wont see many jags from this period.

The citroen hydraulic system while inovative was overly comlpex and when it leaked you could loose brakes, steering and suspension in one go.

engineering masterpiece. NOT

As usual the germans sorted it out with electric assistance over existing proven hydraulic systems (braking for instance) to provide the subsystems for electronic input and control, that give you ABS, traction control, hill descent and automatic 4x4 ability.

the best thing I can say about fench cars in general is they used to have good diesel engines and are comfy. the other side of the coin would take to long to write.

Wow, I really admire you guys, the knowledge you have is amazing:tiphat:
If I can't touch or see it from the drivers seat then as far as I am concerned it doesn't exist.:)

Back