Thread: Lucky Tumble

Lucky Tumble

Slipping and falling whilst carrying a loaded rifle was not lucky, but getting away without any serious damage was.

Out stalking yesterday morning and while walking down a vehicle track on a slight hill, I stepped on a moss covered rock. I had no time to react and feet went out from under me so fast, I was on the ground before I knew it. The rifle was loaded and carried muzzle up. The rifle landed spanning the wheel rut of the track with the barrel on the raised edge and the stock on the central raised grass. If it had landed along the stone wheel track the damage would have been severe. As it was a very slight scuff to the elevation turret cap. I checked the whole rifle and not a sign of damage anywhere else.

As it was on the way back to the car the morning was not wasted as I would not have been happy about taking a shot without checking the zero after such a heavy clatter.

This is the first time in over 25years pf stalking or shooting that I have had such a fall and dropped the rifle. I was very lucky to get away with it. When I shot at a target later on the POI had moved to strike about 1'' low at 100yds. I honestly don't think the rifle and scope could have taken a harder knock without something breaking.

It did however make me think what would have happened if the rifle had been carried muzzle down, which I never do but some others favour, and the impact had caused it to go off.

I know it is a personal thing but I would rather have the muzzle pointing away from my head and into the trees instead of at the ground and above my feet and lower leg.

hi brian i bet you nearly **** yourself must have been astrange feeling when you were falling because you would have been thinking about the rifle but i bet it happened that fast you were on the ground before you new it at least everything turned out ok
    atb tom

Quote Originally Posted by tom reveley View Post
    hi brian i bet you nearly **** yourself must have been astrange feeling when you were falling because you would have been thinking about the rifle but i bet it happened that fast you were on the ground before you new it at least everything turned out ok
    atb tom
    Hi Tom

It was quite surprising to be honest just how fast I hit the deck. I still think I am agile enough to stop that kind of thing happening but on this occasion, no chance. Luckily I landed on the relatively soft central part of the track with no injury whatsoever. But as you say, first thought was for the kit. Sticks, thrown down the track, binos wrapped round my neck...

Having said all that, if someone had been there I am sure they would have found it quite amusing!!! Then again, there would not have been anyone walking behind me if I was carrying a loaded rifle swinging about on my shoulder.

On the point of carrying muzzle up or down, I was always told, "There are less aircraft about, than there are feet!"
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Your lucky day could have been fatal if safety had failed.

Quote Originally Posted by logburner View Post
    Your lucky day could have been fatal if safety had failed.
    That's my point about carrying the rifle muzzle up. I replayed the situation over a few times in my head and no matter how I looked at it, it would be impossible for the bullet to hit me if it had gone off, unless from a ricochet on a rock and even then it would have to more or less come straight back. Muzzle down however with my feet going away from me, the muzzle is above my feet and legs or firing into the ground below me.