Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dried blood

Dried blood

Just got a few KG of the food grade stuff. How much do you add to water to make a good consistency? Don't fancy making black pudding mix first off as I'd rather eat it myself! It didn't come with instructions as I got it from a bait shop.

57 views and no reply! I suppose I should just try it out and see how we get on!

Sorry deer man never used the stuff, so cant help but would be interested to know what sort of dryed blood, cow, pig,deer or a mix? Dont spose it maters its a trail.

Tony.

If I remember I think it just said mammal blood food grade so no additives of flavourings. I will have a look and vet back to you.

deer man, I have used dried blood obtained from a garden supply merchant, turns out it was chicken blood but worked quite well as a laid trail. GSP could folow no problem.

Consistency was very watery when mixed & settled out very quickly once stood for a day or so but resultant liquid smelt very strong all the same.

Originally used as an organic fertilizer, a source of nitrogen.

Chris
    Life should be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving skidding in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

Just made some up. 1x 5ml spoon full of powder and 20x 5ml water. Seems ok and makes up to a good consistency. It does say mammal blood. I will try it out later.

hi deer man,
    i attended a dogs for deer course earlier this year and the guys running it said only to use deer blood and not to salt it either, but one thing they were adamant about was that it was more the hoof scent that the dog has to follow and the blood is secondary as with some shots theres not alot of blood to follow.
    all the best
    jimmy

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy milnes View Post
    hi deer man,
    i attended a dogs for deer course earlier this year and the guys running it said only to use deer blood and not to salt it either, but one thing they were adamant about was that it was more the hoof scent that the dog has to follow and the blood is secondary as with some shots theres not alot of blood to follow.
    all the best
    jimmy
    Jimmy,

You made my day.
    A pupil who not only listen to what we say but even believes it.
    The aim of training is to copy reality. Therefor stay as close as you can to the real situation. Deer blood, hooves from the same animal and ideally a piece of skin of same at the end.
    You will find that switching over to real live tracking than is almost effortless.

I intend to use it in conjunction with my scent shoes. It works really well.

Hi Deer man, I think the point that is being made its best to use deer blood and hoofs, skin from the same animal as that is correct way, but if you do not have axes to deer blood, as many dont, then dried blood is your next best thing.
    I am very lucky i shoot and have axes to lots of deer blood,hoofs and skins, I think if your where to ask for some help on the sd there will be someone near you can give you some deer blood/hoofs to aid your training.

Tony