Laser Bore Sighter. Any good?

The Singing Stalker

Does anybody use a laser bore sighter. The one that looks like a bullet and goes in the chamber, not the one that goes on the end of the barrel.

Are they any good, worth the money, helpful for zeroing?

No, i had one in .243 and it was so far out i left it in the glovebox when i sold my Jimny. Boresight then fine adjust. Save your money as bullets don't fly straight.

Fair enough. I was looking to get it to hit the paper at 100 yards so I could save on bullets. Thought it might be good for that. I know the one you push down the end of the barrel are not that good. just wondered if the one you chambered would be better. Was looking at the prices and wanted to make sure I didn't waste my money as they are not cheap. :thumb:

If you pay a Fiver for it you will have paid too much... boresight first and fine tune, 8 rounds maximum.

I like the idea of using it as a collimator. sight it and record where it lays on the chart, check zero simply by checking with the chart. it would give peace of mind after a fall or knock.

Hi

Because of not having anywhere previously to use live ammo, I bought 4 different laser calibres and used them at a friends farm (Council estate borders his ground)
Having got on paper and as near to the bull at 100 yards, when I did live shooting I had the smallest of adjustments to make.
Once satisfied with the results took the boresighter grid references and noted for future reference.
Everybody to there own, I found it worked for me.
ATB
DavieH

Fair enough. I was looking to get it to hit the paper at 100 yards so I could save on bullets.

I normally start by zeroing at 25 yards, so if you have a .243 you will be looking to be about an inch low at 25 yards this will mean that you are in the right ball park at 100 yards. Then you move back to 100 yards to fine tune.

Range ==> Drop
0 ==> -1.5
25 ==> -0.8
50 ==> -0.3
75 ==> 0.0
100 ==> 0.0
125 ==> -0.2

Hi

Because of not having anywhere previously to use live ammo, I bought 4 different laser calibres and used them at a friends farm (Council estate borders his ground)
Having got on paper and as near to the bull at 100 yards, when I did live shooting I had the smallest of adjustments to make.
Once satisfied with the results took the boresighter grid references and noted for future reference.
Everybody to there own, I found it worked for me.
ATB
DavieH
In full agreement with the above.:cool:

All my rifles are sighted the same when the scope is changed.
I put the workmate on a solid surface put a towel on the mate and fasten in the rifle.
I put an adjustable spacer under the front of the barrel look through the bore at a distant object mine is a black electric fence insulator on a fence post 80 yards away.
I then move the spacer closer closer to the foreend until the insulator is showing in the centre of the barrel at the correct height.
I then move the workmate side ways until the insulator is in the centre of the barrel vertically.
I then adjust the scope until the cross hairs are centered on the insulator.
I have never been more than 4 inches out with the first shot.
Cost nothing only time.

I agree, it's easy to bore sight but if you are out stalking and want to recheck is it not easier to use the laser with the check sheet?

I have the Red i Laser for both .243 & .300 Win Mag.
Got one for my .223 and then got an arbour from the internet to fit my .375 H & H.

As I said it works for me to get oon 100 yards and it save me time with my .300 Win Mag as I am taking shots out to 300+ yards when in Africa.

Regards

DavieH

After getting (and sending back) an end of barrel one which inscribed a 4" circle at 10' when twisted, I looked at getting an in-chamber one and went through the customer reviews of the various models on the Cabelas website.

Looks like, as with many things, you get what you pay for so back to the boresight at 25 then 100 method - certainly cheaper than buying various calibres and/or arbours..... but I can see where DavieH is coming from.

atb
FBW

If you want to save your money ,boresight. You will get onto a piece of a4 no probs at 100 yds.

Cheers Hummel

Back