Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lyme disease in dogs

Lyme disease in dogs

I know this should be in the VET section, but as I'm looking for some quicker responses I thought I'd start it here before the admin guys move it sorry, just don't know how much traffic the vet section gets.

Anyhow, I removed a tick from my labs eyebrow a few weeks ago (4 ish), and since then there's been a bit of a bump/lesion come back, but it's only now I correlate the two. She has been tired, and has had a sore shoulder and feet, I blamed it on my dog-walker over working her though.

is there any experience here with dogs getting lyme disease, the cure, time-scales, and long-term effects?

Whereabouts in the country are you?

Borders/Midlothian mate,

been reading a few symptoms online and getting pretty concerned, as a lot seem to hit the mark, apart from fever and lack of appetite (but she's a lab!).

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    Borders/Midlothian mate,

been reading a few symptoms online and getting pretty concerned, as a lot seem to hit the mark, apart from fever and lack of appetite (but she's a lab!).
    Take her to the vets and insist on a blood test. Its the only way you will be sure and do it sooner than later as if not treated sooner then it can stay in the system as in humans and make her feel ill long term. I know thats not the answer you are looking for in terms of what you want but a very should be able to do things straight away and get the process of diagnosis and treatment sorted.

ATB

I have two CBR's and they are from the same litter and when a Tick is removed one dog shows no marks or signs he has ever been bitten whereas his brother swells up and scabs over about the size of a pea. If i went to the vet when i seen a Tick on them i would have a fuel bill the size of Europe... it will be an allegic reaction and not Lymes. Some dogs take the bite badly, some don't.

thanks for your input up to know..it's the tiredness and limping + sore feet that's concerning me most. In the reverse situation, she'd take me to the GP if she could, so I will for sure take her to the vet this PM. appreciate your comments red-dot, and I agree, but it's the side-symptoms that really concern me rather than the bite area.

I was always of the opinion that Lymes takes a few years to show up but that may be in humans... I had my dogs in a pheasant pen for 2 hours and one had 40 ticks and the other 20 and i had 8.... horrible little parasites!!

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOT View Post
    I was always of the opinion that Lymes takes a few years to show up but that may be in humans... I had my dogs in a pheasant pen for 2 hours and one had 40 ticks and the other 20 and i had 8.... horrible little parasites!!
    If you leave Lymes Disease un diagnosed in a human for any length of time, you will either be dead! or badly crippled to the point of no return.

As I have siad in other threads on this subject, having seen one lady at the BDS stand at Belviour CLA the other year, who had not been diagnosed properly for a couple of years........result paralysed from the waist down and lost the sight in one eye!!!

I am not familier with this disease in dogs, but the symptoms I had was apparent by the second to third week. If indeed your dog has contracted it, and I assume dogs can catch it as it is a parasite of sorts that lives in the blood stream, I would take your dog to the vets and get it checked out.

If you do not you may find you will end up with an horrendous bill from the vets anyway if the disease takes hold, worse still you may loose your dog.

Check it out, and be careful yourself as well, Lymes disease is not a bloody joke!!

The Government know which regions have and have not got Lymes in Ticks but they refuse to release the specific regions which have Lymes as this would have a serious affect to tourism.. i stay in Stirlingshire which apparently has no Lymes but i for one would like to know where has.
    Last edited by RED-DOT; 16-08-2011 at 14:52.

The disease in dogs is called Piroplasmosis ( check Google) and can be treated with a product called CARBESIA .
    A blood test gives the answer. The disease can be very lethal and once you clearly see signs, it can be to late. The south of France is a dangerous area. My dogs had ticks frequently( in Belgium) and I never had a problem up to now.