FC disgusting practices in the Forest of Dean?

Of those listed the Wild Boar is by far the most destructive of the lot in monetary terms (cost per animal).

Why would we want to let this population increase when farmers already struggle? Other than we all enjoy shooting them!

I agree we will never get close to the German population but we would not have to for it to have the same effect.
i dont see why you suggest that farmers already struggle farmers are doing better now in a recession than any time in the last ten years especially arable farmers that boar effect the most with crop damage its only now we are in recession that farmers are paid by us an average off £112 for every tax payer to produce crops which they are now doing and the cost of cerials is at its highest for a long time pervious to this farmers were paid not to farm but to create habitat for wildlife which no doubt has help the wildboar population . i find this whole argument sad as its based on on small uk population which seems to be doing ok im sure the picture would be different if there was boar in all areas of the uk as im sure that they wouldnt flurish as well on cumbrian hills etc , as for they have no significant commercial value if there was a big enough population for people to hunt like in germany bulgaria etc then the money that could be made would be vast probably similar to that of commercial pheasant shooting i for one would sooner hunt boar in the uk than have to travel abroad 3 time a year . there is no excuse for shooting boar with dependant young just like shooting rabbits or pigeons pest or no pest thats just how i see it

Whatever industry you look into in any depth there are things that go on behind closed door and things that happen that maybe shouldnt but thats where they should stay, behind closed doors.

There is too much pressure on our jobs/sport, call it what you will, the last thing we need is fighting and bitching amongst ourselves.

What I can't get my head around is how the Deer Initiative who underwrite the Wild Boar best practice : http://www.wild-boar.org.uk/pdf/WildBoar_carcass_handling.pdf
state "It is strongly recommended that where boar meat is intended for home consumption or sale directly to the final consumer, the carcass and organs are subjected to a full inspection by a trained person. ... An additional feature to the inspection of boar carcasses is that the law requires AGHEs to submit tissue ( part of diaphragm) samples for Trichinella disease testing. Shooters are encouraged to do the same for carcasses intended for personal or local consumption." Can anyone explain how you become a trained person on a species that has no official recognition in the UK (and hence no governing body or society), yet there is legislation covering the inspection of wild pork entering the human food chain? How can this add up without a Wild Boar Act?

308RWS

Large game meat hygiene is good enough from L1 if you have it. Same deal with behaviour before shot, nodes and glands, mouth, tongue etc

Let's face it whilst we have the current encumbants in Firearms licensing proper Boar control will never happen.. The FLO of Sussex has even denied they exist in Sussex :rolleyes: and in other counties as already pointed out you just try get Boar added to your open ticket :banghead:. I fact I am rather surprised that they have not tried listing each and every deer species your allowed to take.

As for the Government quangos and departments about the only thing then can find is the door to go home and the coffee machine.

Now as for agriculture putting so much into the economy :rolleyes: perhpas we should be asking how much they take out?

Our property right now is hemmed in with maize so we cannot see out much. However not one piece will be consumed by man or beast as it's for Bio Fuel. They chop it up an burn it. Now can you honestly see that happening without the massive subsidies?

It' the same as windfarms........................... now massive subsidies not windfarms yet they're hailed as the planet savers and so green and so good yet take away the subsidies and see how many are put up.. Notice now mention of their impact on the enviroment or their carbon footprint. Just another con which of course has caused another huge quango with related inflated budget.

The wild Boar problem will require years of investigation and surveys which by the time they're completed will be years out of date by the time they're published so except for employing someone to do the survey etc is a total waste of time and money.

I am surprised to hear you can shoot a sow which has dependant piglets. In Germany that, by law, is considered a criminal offence and you have to pay big fines or even can go to prison if you get caught. Germany indeed has problems with the amount of wild boar, also because of the increasingly bigger fields of maize for Bio Fuel. With the bigger maizefields it became more difficult to hunt wild boar. Therefore now by law farmers have to cut rides in big fields of maize to allow hunters to hunt boar more succesfully. Rides of wheat are set beforehand within the maize, so when the wheat is ripe and gets cut you have a good ride in the maize, then the maize gets ripe and you try to shoot the boar feeding on the maize.
By the way, I never heard of the german army getting involved in the culling of wild boar.

I don't know much about boar other than tv documentaries and articles in shooting press. It seems to me that any species weather pest or not should be treated with respect and "managed" in a fair and sustainable way so it's there for generations. Ok I hear you say it's an alien and introduced, it used to b native so let's keep it alive with seasons and all the respect of our deer.

Treating it the same as deer will bring the same revenue as well ie meat sales, stalking fees. Ok damage may be caused but as stated it grows back.

As your numbers and census figures thermal imaging is becoming cheaper and more accessible look at flir hand held and you only got to watch Police documentaries to see thermal imaging

Numbers could be near as exact.

For me badgers need culling just as much as boar and deer but that's a completely different debate.
Yes cull boar but fairly.

boar are great in forests to assist the natural regeneration of trees but if not controlled they are a menace. I shot in poland three times and have seen damage to farmland next to forest that i thought was done by a jcb !! fine if it is not on your land. Over therre they treat boar damage as a legally recoverable issue so if you have the sporting rights and cull insufficient you end up with the bill to compensate the landowner. we should have that here to encourage responsible boar management. I agree that sows with small young should not be shot but when heavy pregnant that is fine as their dependants will be OK

Steyer,

Boar = Pig if you want to introduce to food chain. This means carcasse testing, which means premium price meat.

Stan

Facts

The forestry commission have shot over 130 wild boar in the forest of Dean this year already. They are baiting them into cage traps then shooting them. There is no sport in what they do just killing, if they keep going the boar won't last long at this rate. The new surveyor seems to be the lead in this, I dont know if he has a vendetta against boar.

I've just picked up on this, so excuse me if I'm covering old ground. I have a 9.3x74R double which I have just used in Africa and 'wanted' to use on wild boar and deer in the UK. Try telling a Police Force that there are wild boar roaming the UK - "no such thing - no licence will be granted!" Try telling them that a 9.3x74R 285g bullet @ 2300 fps is safer and results in less meat damage than a 100g .243 @ 2800 fps on deer OR non-existant wild boar - silence!
So, I'm glad to hear there ARE wild boar in the UK (as if I ever doubted it having shot a 200lb'er [lardered] quite a few years ago locally) so where the heck can I get some chance to use my 9.3 with a Shooting Land Authority to satisfy my local bobbies??!
Head in the sand job for them - what they don't understand they 'refuse to deal with'.
As for the FC's supposed 'policy' on how to deal with WB - don't forget that every FC employee has Crown Immunity so no matter what we may think, wish or hope for with regard to a measured and civilized approach to culling I think we can forget it. FC rangers are above the law and cannot be prosecuted for anything they do on FC ground - Crown Immunity sees to that. Their Managers also have a remit which like it or not they have to administer and the guys pulling the trigger either comply or lose their jobs (as many have or will be doing soon).
I'm sure boar need controlling and keeping numbers down - their breeding cycle is astronomical and a time-bomb if not controlled but if the Police pretend they're not there and landowners don't allow culling or 'like to see them' then we're all going to say "we saw this coming but no-one who could have made a difference did anything".
WE all know there are boar out there - everyone who has credibility to confirm this has chosen to hide in the shadows.
I wonder why...

so if you shot a non existent boar (bare with me) and there is no condition on your ticket that specifically says you can't shoot these non existant boar, how can you be in breach of an unwritten condition especially if you have 'estate management' type wording anywhere on your ticket?? Boar have no legal status so in any case the licencing bods should not then choose a class for them as game, vermin or feral pig etc. If legally challenged what are they until specific legislation clarifies what they should be classed as. Land owners have a legal responsibility to manage wildlife, boar are without question wildlife.

I wish someone with balls made a big deal of this issue.

They definatly exist

PICT0082-1.jpg

PICT0050-1.jpg

PICT0082-1.jpg

When a walker gets gored to death there will be some movement, but I fear it will take something as drastic as this to extract heads from anuses (anii?)

A walker being gored to death is very very unlikely, as at the current rate of trapping and killing there won't be any left on FC land by the end of the year. Asides from that boar are non aggressive unless backed into a corner by a dog, let's not start to demonise them the press will do it quick enough.

so if you shot a non existent boar (bare with me) and there is no condition on your ticket that specifically says you can't shoot these non existant boar, how can you be in breach of an unwritten condition especially if you have 'estate management' type wording anywhere on your ticket?? Boar have no legal status so in any case the licencing bods should not then choose a class for them as game, vermin or feral pig etc. If legally challenged what are they until specific legislation clarifies what they should be classed as. Land owners have a legal responsibility to manage wildlife, boar are without question wildlife.

I wish someone with balls made a big deal of this issue.

Boar have no legal status??? ...... That's really not so.

I thought we had this out last year sometime. The problem is they do have a legal status. Mostly they are either escaped farmed animals (most of which are not actually truly pure wildboar anyway, genetically speaking) or else they are the subsequent progeny of such escapees. These facts give rise to issues of ownership and/or the negligence of those owners, which means said animals can't be regarded as truly wild, like say a stray pheasant which may lawfully be released to the wild. So, these are the matters which give rise to consequent issues when wishing to use terms like "wild" or even "wildboar". The whole thing has been through the Scottish courts and whether you like it or not this is how things stand at the moment and is likely how things will remain until some means of drawing a line in the "legal" sand can be agreed upon.

ps. Don't shoot the messenger

Tamas
If you read all the results of all the research carried out by Defra on the Ross/FOD boar they are as pure bred as any wild boar in europe.

I have no knowledge about other parts of the country.

Atb

Wayne

Back