First Roe Buck

Evening All,

I have just taken my first Roe buck last night. :D.

I went to the farm where I have been observing Roe over the last few weeks; I was on the ground for about 1900hrs and went for a walk around the boundaries to see if anything was about. unfortunately there was no sign of any deer movement, so I headed down to the potato field area that has a woodland joining on to it, I slowly stalked down the edge of the wood to about 50yds off the boundary then sat and waited to see if anything might come my way this was about 2000hrs. With everything still I decided to move to the high seat I wasn't more than 100yds away when I looked back to see 2 deer bounding off :doh:
After some choice words to myself I continued off to the high seat for the last half hour.

Again sat there just enjoying to the quiet and the sunset, when I decided that was it time for home one last scan and there he was a young Roe buck just following the fence line in the barley field, I moved into a firing position checked my safe area no one was about now I was covering him just waiting for him to pause, then he stopped for a nosey and I released the shot and down he went, I reloaded and covered the area for 5 mins before climbing down and moving off to check him. When I got there he was laid on his side just where I dropped him no sign of movement after the shot. I measured the distance with the rangefinder and it was 76 yds.

I tried to take a photo with my phone but light was bad so I gralloched him and made my way home where I had the wife take a photo and my youngest was still awake and had to be in the picture.

My lads woke up this morning wanting to know how I got on and when they heard that was it they wanted some for dinner!! So I butchered it this morning and we had some this evening and it was good...

Thanks for looking

Daz

Attachments

• Roe Deer.JPG
    Roe Deer.JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 103
Brilliant Daz,that will stay with you forever mate,I like the young'uns jacket as well,get 'em involved early that's the way.

Martin

Many congrats, and well done for staying that last bit in the highseat, all too many bugger off home early and miss the action! I was one of them when I first started:oops:

The first buck is very special, and I imagine a bit like Heroin, you're always chasing that same feeling, but it's never quite the same. Mount it nicely and get a plaque for it too, it will serve you with many memories in years to come when you walk by it in the hallway. I treasure my first little 2 pointer more than any subsequent 6 pointer I have ever shot!

Thanks Guys for taking the time to read my write up, I am now finding out how much time is spent on cleaning the head. After reading some posts on here I have just borrowed my dads pressure washer to give me a helping hand.

Dom how are things down your neck of the woods had many since the DSC L1?

Thanks Again

Daz

well done daz hope its one of many and your young lad looks as chuffed as you i will get my first soon i hope all this makes me more determind to get me one

webby

Back