Thread: .243 OAL

.243 OAL

I'm new to the world of reloading and i'm feeling my way very carefully. So far i've full length resized and decapped some once fired Federal brass and cleaned them. I've seated one dummy bullet into an unprimed case and have kept seating the bullet down until it now chambers in my rifle (Tikka 595). It measures 2.750 overall length and i was going to seat it into the neck a further 15 to 20 thou to take the bullet off the lands. BUT, reference to Modern Reloading and Speers No.12 both give a maximum cartridge length of 2.710 so I would exceed this by 30 thou. What am I doing wrong and how do I proceed?

oal questions

MJR,
    The lengths given in the reloading manuals are lengths so that it will fit into the shortest throats and in the test barrel to provide the best velocities. all rifles, every individual is slightly different. if you start by the getting your max oal in the way you have described then work a load up at .5 gr intervals looking for pressure signs all the way you should be fine. stop when you get signs of excess pressure.

i did all my loading this way. when i loaded 150 gr bullets in my 30-06 not much bullet shank was in thecase. i was worried about them pulling out or knocking off. so i shortenned them all down quite a lot. i then checked them and it made no discernable difference to the accuracy. i then turned to my .243 win and did the same. the accuracy actually improved! there were no signs of pressure as i turned them in a bit at a time.

swampy

Swampy,thanks for that. I'll seat the bullet in a further 20thou and take it from there.

I don't know what rifle you use and how you tested the rounds in the rifle, but make sure they still go in the magazine as well. You wouldn't be the first one to think he has made a perfect set of rounds to find out that his rifle suddenly has become a single shot one You should see some of the T-shirts we have

I don't know what rifle you use and how you tested the rounds in the rifle, but make sure they still go in the magazine as well. You wouldn't be the first one to think he has made a perfect set of rounds to find out that his rifle suddenly has become a single shot one You should see some of the T-shirts we have