Carcass trays

matt308

Saw these in Homebase.

Looks very like the green ones I used to get made, but a bit smaller (and blacker) . I checked them out in the flesh, and they are pretty tough. With a smaller vehicle now, I reckon they are just the job for Roe and Fallow does/prickets. A big buck might be a squeeze.

Saw these in Homebase.

Looks very like the green ones I used to get made, but a bit smaller (and blacker) . I checked them out in the flesh, and they are pretty tough. With a smaller vehicle now, I reckon they are just the job for Roe and Fallow does/prickets. A big buck might be a squeeze.

I have one of these and just the job, though they dont like the really cold weather, mine cracked as i was lifting it fully loaded...still serviceable though and for the price they are good enough

I got 2 trays from Ikea of similar size and 3 smaller ones for the drips in the larder for a total of £18.

There was another thread on here that mentioned them. I was in Homebase a few days later and looked at their cement mixing tray. It is only about 3" longer and in my opinion offers nothing better for the extra money. I had a 70-80lb young Sika stag (gralloched and head and feet off) in it a couple of weeks ago and it coped easily. Would not take much bigger though.

I have seen the clear ones, or similar, but they seemed a bit fragile. Anyway, feeling flush after selling some munty sausages, I bought the Homebase one yesterday which I didn't think was too bad for the money. I like the rounded corners, easier to clean and drag, maybe? I am surprised you say they go brittle in the cold sparko, as they felt reasonably tough and resistant to impact damage. Yet to christen it; maybe friday evening...:)

For the roe i phone up the councill every year ask for a couple of the green recycle tubs that we put glass in they are strong and easy to clean. For red's i get a 45 gallon drum cut it in half length ways with stihl saw couple of wholes in at end attach rope then you have two drag trays also carcass trays takes no more than ten minutes to do.

I am surprised you say they go brittle in the cold sparko, as they felt reasonably tough and resistant to impact damage.

...Maybe it Is just the one I have, who knows?...Still serviceable, just a bit harder to clean

I bought one of the homebase tubs, not for deer but for mixing mortar.....I have to be honset to stop anyone wating their cash, it was rubbish. I too thought it looked good but first time I mixed mortar it split.

I have a plasterer's mixing bath, along with a good many others, not the cheapest but in my opinion excellent. Overkill for Roe I expect but does for Red and Sika stags.

John

how heavy are the carcases that you are dragging in these things?
cant imagine the bottom of the trays lasts long if you are dragging them around

I only use mine to keep the boot of the car clean and contain the "item" whilst in transit.
Otherwise they just get whisked up on a hook.

As I only shoot Munties and the very occasional Roe I use a Roe sack and one of these in the boot of the car -

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=11507786&fh_loca%20tion=//catalog01/en_GB/categories%3C{9372012}/categories%3C{9372021}/categories%3C{9372062}

but I got a green one!

Pack flat and work great.

(Can't get the link to work - needs to be copied & pasted)

Last edited:
I use the plasters bath and mine is white and cleans up perfect can get a good size fallow buck in. Two roe or muntis easy. Due to shape I'm getting a cover made of the material for trailer covers to stop flys and contamination.

Loads of folk are selling these and similar as 'carcass trays', they are potting trays available from most garden centres in 2 sizes, this one and a larger one which are getting sold as suita ble for fallow. They aren't the toughest though, the bottoms are quite thin, perfect if all you want it for is as a boot liner, not so great if you want to carry/drag your carcass in it.

I use the trug type rubberised twin handle round tubs. They need a plastic grate (cut from a bread delivery tray) to act as a blood trap. Good for roe and probably a fallow hind but will not handle anything bigger.

Back