Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guard dogs

Guard dogs

I live a bit out on a limb and have been thinking about a guard dog (German Shepherd etc) as a deterent.

I know that if someone really wants to do it they will just poison the dog but i dont have anything worth trying that hard to nick apart from other dogs and it will put off opportunists.

I would like to know if anyone knows the actualy law on these things and if someone did break in and get bitten in my property where i would stand.

Would i be better training the dog as a 'protection' dog and therefore acknowledging that it could be dangerous but seen to take steps to mitigate or just basic obedience and claim its a pet?

Lastly, does anyone know where i could get a pup?

Dan

There are many aspects to be considered if you own and operate a Guard Dog. A dog that has been trained to "Guard" must be under the control of it's handler at all times unless secured. To me a secured dog is worthless. Refer to the Guard Dogs Act 1975.

Far better with a well balanced GSD or similar that just likes to look after his home and family without officially being a Guard Dog.

Unless you know how to train a personal protection dog I would forget it. Personal Protection Dogs are not dangerous as in a out of control dog but they are trained to respond wholeheartedly to an attack on his handler. This must take into account reacting to situations rather than commands. An unconscious handler cannot command a dog.

A keeper friend of mine had his terriers stolen, this prompted him to go down the same road as you.

He rescued a Rottweiler from a dogs home, when it came it was in a bad way, had kennel cough so bad had 12" of snot from his nose. He was not good in kennels that why he got rescued so soon. Anyway......He had been mistreated but was still very friendly, it took 6 months to get him vaguely right again, and my friend took him to 1 schutshund class and thought all the people there were very snobby so never wet again.

So he has no protection training............but the dog values this kind family very highly and although my friend asures me he wouldn't bite, I certainly would not go in his house, garden or kennel without the dog being locked away.

So moral of the story, just bring your dog up as a pet and have it well trained, recall, down and leave/drop that burglar would be my guess as most important.

If you only want a deterrent then this is all you need, you don't need it to be able to chase them down and pull/hold a person as they may have moved off your property and the dog would be breaking the law. I would also suggest you put up signs to warn people that there is a large guard dog on the property

If you.ve got a bit of ground I would consider a few geese. Better guards than most dogs, very off putting if they are running at you, no legislation that I know of if they attack somebody, and come Christmas .........well.

Look at Ridgebacks
    they need no training just you to be alpha male
    A brace of them will sort out most problems and are not the sort of dog to be killed by poisioned titbits
    word soon gets round about the sort of protection you hav on your property and they are not a dog to be messed with
    just make sure you are capable of owning and handling such a dog as they are not your standard dog by any means

Quote Originally Posted by Dickyboy View Post
    I would also suggest you put up signs to warn people that there is a large guard dog on the property
    It might be better to keep the signage simple and state something innocuous such as "Dog loose on premises".

Wording that includes, "Beware, Guard Dog, Dangerous" etc. can always give a good lawyer something to get their teeth into, (excuse the pun), if someone gets injured on your premises. See Guard Dogs Act 1975 for stipulations and constraints on having a dedicated 'Guard Dog'.

Quote Originally Posted by stone View Post
    Look at Ridgebacks
    they need no training just you to be alpha male
    A brace of them will sort out most problems and are not the sort of dog to be killed by poisioned titbits
    word soon gets round about the sort of protection you hav on your property and they are not a dog to be messed with
    just make sure you are capable of owning and handling such a dog as they are not your standard dog by any means
    Yep ridgebacks would be a very good idea so long as you know what you are taking on,you must show them who is boss from the outset,not for namby pamby owners,not suggesting you are of course.

The Idea that a dog needs to be aggressive in order to act as a deterrent is a myth.Get your pup from a good source (tested for hips,eyes,elbows,haemophilia),bring it up as part of the family teach it to play and tug get it to speak for its toy then get friends to enter your premises with secreted toy, dog speaks toy is produced, dog is happy no bite ensued.
    When stranger enters dog rushes up speaks repeatedly at offending person you are alerted ,intruder is worried, you call dog off etc etc etc.
    If you are not there to hear dog then do not go down the canine route a dog on its own must be secured and therefore is no problem for potential trespassers.
    This is the route I would suggest for most family based or amateur type situations, guarding and protection routes are a completely different ball game.
    Good place to start German Shepherd Dog League of Great Britain (GSDL) and in Yorkshire there is the White Rose Schutzhund club.
    If your into your stalking the GSD makes a great tracking dog.
    Last edited by carpy; 18-08-2011 at 07:33. Reason: add info

Cheers for that, i think that the pet idea is the way to go. Dog classes tend to be full of people with a slightly odd outlook (in my experience and opinion)

I just thought that if you did the training then there is evidence that you havent been negligent in having a big dog and not training it to a standard?

Basically id like it in the kennel so people can see it having a bark and out with me so people know it is there. Cant imagine they would be keen to risk that it is 'all bark'

Thanks