Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wasted Powder

Wasted Powder

I knocked over a Tub of Viht 160 this afternoon

Briefly thought of seiving and salvaging what I could, and then decided to burn it on the BBQ

Felt better after that

H

Expensive mistake. I dropped about three rounds worth of Re 17 last week and nearly cried.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

I was slightly annoyed. The only consolation was that some of the powder appeared clumped, perhaps a bit damp.

Still trying to find that perfect .260 load! 40.5 grains gives 2613 and an [almost] sub 1MOA group at 100 yards.

Re 17 is like gold dust so no shame on the tears where can you get it?

Cheers

H.

Herne, I am sitting here with a batch of 125gr Nosler Partitions and a box of 129gr Hornady Interbonds, I want to do load development for one of these bullets to use this season.

I have no powder. I had enough Re 17 for about 35 rounds, so I used it up on a known good load for 120gr BT's so I have about 50 rounds that will keep me going for another month or six weeks.

I have being trying to get either Re17 or 4350 for nearly two months, my dealer keeps promising "next week", I should get some re17, next week. 17 really is the nutz in the 260.

Ref best loads, I found my 260 did not like slow powders, tried both N160 and 4831 when I first got it. Funny, I was getting reasonably consistent velocity, but the accuracy was not there, very inconsistent. Mine was also throated pretty short with a minimum spec chamber, I cna't even chamber 140's with setting them away down into the case.

When I moved to faster powder - Benchmark and Re17, groups dropped to really consistent sub .5" for 3 rounds.

Try a faster powder with 120-130grain bullets.

Another pal of mine has a 260 on a custom action, his is throated longer and shoots the 140 Partitions like a dream, he has taken everything up to Wildebeat and I think Zebra with it. It is a pure "meat gun".
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

I agree on faster powders for the .260: - for me its 40.0 Gns RL15 under the 120 NBTs, gives 2890 in my 22" Shilen barrel Tikka 595, less than .5MOA consistently if thats what you are looking for , its worth a try. Work up to it, as its the full house load according to the Nosler6 book.

Just a thought....

Good luck in your search for THE LOAD.

P

Quote Originally Posted by Herne View Post
    I knocked over a Tub of Viht 160 this afternoon

Briefly thought of seiving and salvaging what I could, and then decided to burn it on the BBQ

Felt better after that

H
    Makes good fertiliser if you spread it sparingly...

You didn't mention what you cooked, was it a flash fry steak?

fraser

I once tipped a whole tub of varget into my rcbs charge master with the dispenser door open and it all went on the floor before I noticed. A costly mistake

I did think about flash frying something after the event! it was about hals a cupfl of powder and the burn last about 6 seconds.

Curiosity is a terrible thing but I will now curb my pyro-tendencies I am thinking!!

H.

You chaps need to steady your hands a little,........... a little Red wine does the trick.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!