Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 7 x 64

7 x 64

I have been looking at a CZ rifle in this calibre and was wondering if many people had any experience with calibre.

I used to own a Musgrave in 7x64 when I lived in South Africa- shot everything from springbuck to eland and zebra with it- cracking caliber. My favourite bullets in it were the 175gn Hornady Interlock and the Sierra 160gn BTHP Gameking. If I had one in the UK I'd probably load 140 gn pills.

Hi - I shot my first deer, a muntjac buck with a brno 7x64. I can remember the morning as if it was todays dawn, although it was 30 years ago! I can remember the rifle also - It had a butter knife bolt a lovely balanced cut classic stock and was very accurate. Made in the fifities I would imagine. My father eventually sold it and I still mourn it.

In short a fantastically versatile round!!

Regards K

My stalking mentor used a Mannlicher GK in 7x64 from many year until the barrel was worn enough for grouping to drop off so he had it rebarrelled this time in 7-08 as he can no longer travel as he did so Boar is not on the menu for him now. The 7-08 is easier for him to get locally and as his quarry is mainly Roe and Muntjac along with fox it suits his needs. Otherwise it would have been 7x64 again.

I'm thinking of getting one matey for use en France as it handles bigger pills than the .270 apparently. Also over here in Switz seems to be a not uncommon calibre.

Only about 10-15 grains of bullet weight in it...

Not only heavier but slightly larger diameter as well means it should transfer energy better.. Of course it's all theory but?????????????????

A common bullet weight for 7mm is of course 173-175 grains.

Quote Originally Posted by Cumbrian 1 View Post
    I have been looking at a CZ rifle in this calibre and was wondering if many people had any experience with calibre.
    I had one years ago also a 7X65R but ammo and the ingredients for re-loading were difficult to source here in Cumbria. [Bullet heads, missiles or projectiles.]
    Performance wise it is similar to a .270 Win. or a .308 and apart from the benefit of a profusion of ammo available on the Continent you will get no benefit here as opposed to the the other two I mentioned.

HWH.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Not only heavier but slightly larger diameter as well means it should transfer energy better.. Of course it's all theory but?????????????????

A common bullet weight for 7mm is of course 173-175 grains.
    A fallacy about the transfer of energy !
    Transfer of energy is obtained by the retardation of the projectile within the quarry at any given bullet weight [or diameter.] which is one reason why we use soft-points or hollow-points.
    Of course expansion and more damage to living tissue is another reason. Some people like an exit wound to give a blood-trail but this causes potential loss of terminal energy.

HWH.

Ok - I'll grant you the 0.007" diameter increase
    but there's nothing stopping you using 140-160gr in the .270, just the same as most modern 7mm loads