Thread: calf shortage

calf shortage

hi folks ;has anyone noticed a decline in calving levels this year having watched groups of red hinds and sika calfs seem to be only in the region of about one in 4 adults never noticed this in the last 10 years before ;winter was not any different from previous lots of snow and ice ground is in west highlands shotz

Shotz,

In my deer count this year, I noted lower than normal calving levels of a relatively small population. I would expect 1 calf to every 2 hinds it is more like 1:3.

This could be attributed to a higher proportion of failed pregnancies due to the exceptionally harsh winter suffered in many areas. Or it could just be a statistical anomaly.

I am sure others may share their own observations.

Rgds

H.

Funny you should say this - I haven't been out much yet but I've seen 3 sika hinds and only one had a calf whereas usually I would have expected them all to have one. I thought it might have been that they calved late and the calf was still lying up somewhere - I've seen sika calf in Oct/Nov - or that it was just because of the very low sample number as 3 hinds isn't exactly statistically significant. However, if others are seeing something similar then it is possible that it might represent a real trend.

Interesting that you should post this because this is the first year for very, very many that I have not seen a calf here on the farm. I always put calves up from our mowing grass but this year not one.

Although I did have a couple of very nice stags simply refuse to leave one field I was mowing, they just moved 20 yards further into the grass as I passed and eventually lay down at one end and watched me finish the field.

Had a good look at hinds yesterday and I would say that the calf ratio is lower this summer.
    Not seeing so many roe kids with their mothers either.
    S.

further to the original thread 16 sika feeding out in the open watched for 45 mts only obsereved 4 calves 21 red hinds had only 5 calves and these were high up about 700 meters cant think they would have calves lying in the trees when they are so far from cover thanks shotz

Quote Originally Posted by shotz View Post
    further to the original thread 16 sika feeding out in the open watched for 45 mts only obsereved 4 calves 21 red hinds had only 5 calves and these were high up about 700 meters cant think they would have calves lying in the trees when they are so far from cover thanks shotz
    After I take that Stag as agreed, we're on for 4 Hinds.

Talk soon!!!!

Buck.
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"

was speaking about the same thing last week to my laird, and was asking him if it was worth shooting roe does this winter as the the fawn numbers were down as nearly all the roe does i have seen this summer were without any fawns .
    i am under the same asumtion as you that the does have reabsorbed the fawns because off the hard winter we had last year