Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calling Sika

I know someone that used to use a whistle or a squeeker out of the bottom of a dogs toy. He would buy about 20 of them, then go through them all until he got the correct tone. Hopefully, this will help some.

J

Davie
    The elk whistle seems to be what is in vogue at the moment seems like a good deal of practice is needed. I have a dvd on calling Sika an roe if you want it i will send it soon as.

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5 x 55
    The elk whistle seems to be what is in vogue at the moment seems like a good deal of practice is needed.
    As Dave says the Elk cow whistle works well, I have used the Primos one, it has a rubber band to control the pitch, I found it worked best with the band set so the pitch was at its highest. I didn't practice that much before I used it.

Best rgds

Tahr

I have used the "Screery" elk call for the last three years with a fair bit of success. Just as Thar says you need to keep the the adjusting band at its tightest for the best results. Mind you I think that they would come to almost anything when the rut is on and the mood is upon them.

I have heard of people using the squeakers out of cuddly toys, the old favourite "Acme" predator call all sorts of high pitch squeal producing devices. So I should imagine that if it squeals something like a Sika during the rut, you are in with a good chance.

John

This is the one I use.

Best rgds

Tahr

Can anyone tell me the name if the guy in Scotland that Sika/Elk whistles? Read it on here and now cant find the thread.
    Ta everyone

Quote Originally Posted by filledeferme View Post
    Can anyone tell me the name if the guy in Scotland that Sika/Elk whistles? Read it on here and now cant find the thread.
    Ta everyone

Screery elk call

Glendine

I use the Sceery ACE 1 Special Elk Call

Have a practice with it. If you are lucky enough to be able to listen to sika calling you can mimic the stag calls. Often a short soft "mewl" can bring an inquisitive stag in, otherwise its the pattern of 3 rising/falling whistles which can make a stag think there is another in the area.

Was out on Saturday morning at first light.....saw three stags "play" fighting about 300m away.....called 3 times and waited.......5 minutes later I was aware I was being watched....turned around slowly to see a stag not 20 yards behind me coming in to see who was whistling on his patch!! There was that awkward moment when I looked at my slung rifle and he decided whether to fight or flight...in the end he flounced off barking away!

The other three ignored me!

Quote Originally Posted by Dorsettaff View Post
    I use the Sceery ACE 1 Special Elk Call

Have a practice with it. If you are lucky enough to be able to listen to sika calling you can mimic the stag calls. Often a short soft "mewl" can bring an inquisitive stag in, otherwise its the pattern of 3 rising/falling whistles which can make a stag think there is another in the area.

Was out on Saturday morning at first light.....saw three stags "play" fighting about 300m away.....called 3 times and waited.......5 minutes later I was aware I was being watched....turned around slowly to see a stag not 20 yards behind me coming in to see who was whistling on his patch!! There was that awkward moment when I looked at my slung rifle and he decided whether to fight or flight...in the end he flounced off barking away!

The other three ignored me!

+1 Great experience.

Glendine

r.macleod.co.uk supplies Sceery game calls by post or in person from Scotland. very pleasant people to deal with.
    Hope this helps.