Thread: Fallow does, does, does, does!!

Fallow does, does, does, does!!

Since I got back from my hols I have been out 4 times to try to connect with a fallow. I have seen in excess of 60 deer, all female. What has surprised me and also got me to thinking was that all of the kids seem to be does too (pointing to a lean time ahead too). Now whilst I accept that bucks are under greater stalking pressures so there might be less around to see I would have thought the does would have young on a 50/50 ratio.
    A quick bit of research on the net shows that "normally" the ratio should be 50/50, however one article suggests good nutritio in the winter is key to there being more buck kids. This is the link below;
    www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11230961

This makes some sort of sense to me as I see so few bucks and we have had 2 hard winters and I suspect the deer population is too high locally meaning they will be competing for feed in the winter anyway. What is anyone elses experience?

IM(very)HO - when it comes down to it, most people do not want to put the work in shooting does over the winter - especially fallow, as they ARE hard work... Depends on how long you have had the ground, but if everybody else around you is just shooting bucks, then your buck stalking is going to be hit hard.

Agree that data points to a 50/50 ratio split in fawns, but that makes `herd management` all the more important - especially after the last two hard winters that we have had. Sometimes, people cannot just let the bucks go, and focus on does for a year.... The trophies are too tempting.

An old keeper I know always says - " You can only shoot them once !!! "

Good luck, I hope your ground recovers.

[QUOTE=NeilG;249731]IM(very)HO - when it comes down to it, most people do not want to put the work in shooting does over the winter - especially fallow, as they ARE hard work... Depends on how long you have had the ground, but if everybody else around you is just shooting bucks, then your buck stalking is going to be hit hard.

I believe this to be very true!

We usually only have a few outings for prickets at the start of the season, and don't get stuck in until November arrives. Despite our best efforts, most decent bucks get nailed once they cross the boundary! I can't be precise, but I would hazard a guess that on our ground does account for 70% + of resident the fallow population! The % of does - prickets actually shot is much higher than this though.

Towards the end of last season I glassed every deer in a herd of 110 and could not make a single buck / pricket!!! We do see a few really good bucks that drift in for the rut, hold a lot of does and then vanish off again. The last few seasons it's been more about reducing numbers and crop damage limitations.

ATB

T

I am inclined to agree..alot of people have buck "only" fever in the extreme.

Here in Devon, I have observed few bucks (roe) and NO Fallow bucks on my perms. Last night I was out to attend the red in a crop for a farmer, no red showed but spent the evening watching 7 Roe Does, 3 fox cubs and a barn Owl....the roe does were ALL in the same group!

I have only shot 2 bucks this season and to be fair, I haven't stalked the ground much, but have been around it nearly most nights and the absence of Roe bucks is a little worrying.

ArthursC

Same here. We had a hard few weeks with temps down to -17C and a foot of snow and Fallow Bucks are thin on the ground ATM. Out last evening over the stubble, saw three Fallow Does and then one Buck - first for ten days or so and a good-looking young beast, so I left him.