Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Knackered knee: BMX bikes and clumsy 41 year olds don't mix.....

Unhappy Knackered knee: BMX bikes and clumsy 41 year olds don't mix.....

Some of you may recall my post of a few weeks ago outlining how I'd knackered my left knee (....basically I fell off my son's BMX bike.. A few days before my wife went to Glastonbury . I ain't going to win "Husband of the Year 2011".....)

Anyway - I found out this morning that:
    (a) I need an arthroscopy for a bucket handle tear of the meniscus
    TRANSLATION: I've badly torn the cartilage, keyhole surgery required
    (b) I may also have shredded my anterior cruciate ligament, but this can't be confirmed until the surgeon is actually inside my knee doing the cartilage job
    TRANSLATION: I may have seriously buggered my knee that could take months to sort out. Bigger op involving harvesting a piece of my hamstring tendon to replace the damaged ACL....

What a b*****d..

If it's 'only' the cartilage, it could be 6 weeks recovery; if it IS my ACL as well, that may be 6 months. I'm due for the 1st (and hopefully only) op on the 1st Sept, but there is now potentially a big question mark over most of my shooting and stalking activities possibly until early next year.

I'll tell you what - I'm going nowhere near a BMX bike/skateboard/pogo-stick/spacehopper EVER again....

(How close to a deer do you reckon you can get in a sedan chair...??)
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

I have had four arthroscopies so consider myself somewhat of an expert on the matter.

they are low impact surgery and you can sometimes even walk out. sticks/single crutch at worst. few weeks physio, and careful useage. forget climbing hills for several (read 8+) weeks though

what I would be more concerned about is that you have potentially done your ACL some weeks ago and they are only just thinking about looking at it now!
    why the delay?
    why couldnt they diagnose the ACL with an ultrasound or decent xray?

I have also been there but by more manly activities than a bmx bike!!! Football and rugby.

I managed a complete rupture of my ACL during a football match. An arthroscopy revealed the extent of the damage plus cartilage damage. They left my leg for a couple of years by which time I was in a lot of pain so I was offered a re-construction. At that time they used both the hamstring or a piece of the patella tendon, bore holes into the bone and graft the replacement tissue into the bored out hole and then secure with titanium screws. I still spent 9 months of physio recovering and was very fit at the time. 1 year and 2 months after the op, I played a game of rugby....... and tore the repaired ACL!!! I had a first class repair and to be honest, the injury would have occurred to a non repaired knee such was the impact.

I was offered the op again but I'm afraid the physio was just too fresh in my memory so opted to give up contact sports although continued to box. I have got by without an ACL for almost 16 years now and compensate by keeping the quads and hamstrings strong through training and cycling but low impact stuff so no road running.

To be honest I wish now I had gone through it again. I have given it the odd pull and twist whilst on rough ground stalking and shooting as well as wading down rivers but nothing too drastic.

Torn cartilage is bad though cause it has a tendency to float about and in my case jam in the knee joint preventing it bending properly.

You will not regret getting it done as i am constantly aware that there is a weakness in the joint if something unexpected occurs like a stumble or knock.

ATB with the recovery.

had my torn meniscus done last september walked out on the crutches 4 hours after the op was on crutches for 2 weeks unable to drive for 4 weeks of work 6 weeks managed out on the hill for hinds in december had to use the stick going down steep hills but ok going up did a lot on the bike before the op to build up my knee to cut down on recovery time worth doin because if i left it my days of stalking on the hill were probably over

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    I have had four arthroscopies so consider myself somewhat of an expert on the matter.

they are low impact surgery and you can sometimes even walk out. sticks/single crutch at worst. few weeks physio, and careful useage. forget climbing hills for several (read 8+) weeks though

what I would be more concerned about is that you have potentially done your ACL some weeks ago and they are only just thinking about looking at it now!
    why the delay?
    why couldnt they diagnose the ACL with an ultrasound or decent xray?
    When I first went to A&E just after the accident I was told it was just cartilage damage, not my ACL - ice, rest, painkillers, it'll get better in 4-6 weeks. It didn't (or at least not as far as I thought it ought to have done), so after I got back from holiday last week I privately self-referred to a Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon, had an MRI scan last Friday, and went back today for the results. So right now I'm pretty p***ed off that I was initially told it wasn't ACL damage, had they suggested that at the time, I'd have done things differently and if nothing else been 7 weeks further down the line.....
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

Get yerself fixed, mate, and come down here to try for that elusive muntjac again! Stan reckons he has a gold medal buck on the edge of the wood, so I'll suggest that he lets it sow it's seed a little while longer.

Which ever it is i wish you a speedy recovery.

Hope you get it sorted soon mate.

I think we will have to find a palce we can get the FL in and take it out of the window, worked ok on charlie the other night.

Will get round to emailing you the pics.

Jon

Got your text, but broke me phone before I got a chance to read it
    by any luck it is just the cartilage
    fingers crossed for you
    on another note I got inspired by your foxy adventure and tried it for myself
    ended up with 3 of the beggars

I broke my leg 17weeks ago, (didn't involve a joint so wan't as bad), the physio is painful but so long as you get on and do it, man up with the pain and push yourself to do it, you will recover, these horror stories of not recovering tend to be from people who don't get on and walk about, I was walking(on crutches) from 2 weeks, mega painful but I was playing cricket again before they thought i'd be walking properly. Don't over do it but get on and do it!! You'll be stalking before you know it!