Thread: Sauer ilaflon coating?

Question Sauer ilaflon coating?

Sauer owners (present or former), how durable is the ilaflon coating on your rifles?

If I cannot manage to source a sako 75 stainless in .308 soon I may be tempted by a Sauer. In my price range I have found two; one is nicely wooded with a blued action and barrel. The other is a synthetic coated in ilaflon. I wonder how long it will last?

Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

I've got the Outback in 223 which I've had for about 18 months for foxing. It has had some rough handling when I've been standing in the back of the truck in all weathers and stood up very well. Also very accurate. Only having a three shot mag can be a bit of a pain, but don't think you will be disapointed.

Quote Originally Posted by bubble View Post
    I've got the Outback in 223 which I've had for about 18 months for foxing. It has had some rough handling when I've been standing in the back of the truck in all weathers and stood up very well. Also very accurate. Only having a three shot mag can be a bit of a pain, but don't think you will be disapointed.
    Thanks bubble. I do believe that Sauer make a 5 shot mag for some of their rifles, according to Steve Beatty they fit the Outback?! I will be in a position to tell you after this coming Tuesday as I'm going down to Somerset to try an Outback for myself.

Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Simon - When you go to see Steve & go on his range to try it out beware of the mozzies! I recently did some testing there & got bitten all over my legs! Thick trousers tucked into your socks are the order of the day! Enjoy!!

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Yorric View Post
    Simon - When you go to see Steve & go on his range to try it out beware of the mozzies! I recently did some testing there & got bitten all over my legs! Thick trousers tucked into your socks are the order of the day! Enjoy!!

Ian
    Ian, Steve did mention duck ponds to me so I had looked out the expedition strength DEET already. This will be tucked into a change of clothes, toothbrush and suchlike as I may well go to a pub nearby that I used to frequent many years ago. It's a dangerous place is Butleigh.

I enjoyed talking to Steve, he's very knolwedgeable and good fun.

Simon

Thanks FT. A 5 shot mag would be ideal, I would appreciate knowing if it fits a 223 Outback. Enjoy your testing. Bubble

Quote Originally Posted by bubble View Post
    Thanks FT. A 5 shot mag would be ideal, I would appreciate knowing if it fits a 223 Outback. Enjoy your testing. Bubble
    Bubble, if you ring Steve Beaty he will sort you out a five shot magazine; 07970151321

Personally I did not get on with the Outback, I think it will have to be a Mauser M03 Extreme.

Regards, Simon

Edit; Steve has a great set up and he stocks some wonderful guns. Well worth a trip down, if only to talk rifles, look at wonderful guns all with a very knowledgeable, down to earth bloke. A top man!
    Last edited by flytie; 23-08-2011 at 14:17. Reason: More time!

Thanks flytie, I will give him a call. I felt the Mauser was a bit heavey for my use and caliber, but an excellent gun though. Bubble