Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: caliber change on FAC

caliber change on FAC

guys,

one of the forum members (you know who you are) has kindly offered me to purchase his .30-06AI, which I am delighted about and very excited (please, no negative comments to ruin my joyous expectations).

However, my empty slot on the old FAC is for .308, so I need to get L&B to do a caliber switcha-roo for me.

Can I just send a hand-written note in asking for it and why, accompanied by the FAC?..or do I need to complete a variation form, etc. etc.

responses from those who know only please.

cheers,

P

ps. this also means I will be VERY pleased if anyone has spare .30-06 once used Norma brass (that's all I really want to use), and/or recipes for reloading the .30-06AI with 180 or 200 grainers - to be used for big reds, sika, and paper that really needs firm hand

the easiest way is to phone your firearms enquiry officer on monday morning as the rules change from area to area .but i thick you will need to fill in a proper variation form to get the change over . some police station have the form at the enquiry desk to pick up . when i put a variation to change calibres it took less than a week and that was changing from a 223 to a 260.

variation change mate one for one ....no charge ,,,,,, been waiting three wks there is a back log u know !!!!!!

Complete variation form in West Yorks for a one for one.
    I run a 30-06AI and you will love it. I would suggest you use new Brass to fireform, i use Lapua.
    I have found N160 to be excellent. Work up your loads with caution as the lack of body taper means that pressure signs do not show as early as the parent cartridge.
    I am using 175 Berger Hunting at 2975fps.

Yorkie.

Actually both are .30 calibre so it's the Plods as per normal screwing things up by putting cartridges down instead of calibres as per the forms requesting. Empire building at it's best making more work to look needed and important.

As suggested phone them despite the rules each officer has their own ideas . and forget the AI on the forms .30 calibre is actually all that is required after all it does clearly say calibre and nowhere does it same chambering or cartridge designation.

I concur with Kevin on this, as in" I need a .17 centrefire " "OK. you can have a .17 Remington", what is actually on order, is a .17 Remington Fireball, Fireball is the chambering, .17 is the calibre.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    I concur with Kevin on this, as in" I need a .17 centrefire " "OK. you can have a .17 Remington", what is actually on order, is a .17 Remington Fireball, Fireball is the chambering, .17 is the calibre.
    Sorry finnbear but .17" is the calibre........................ .17 Remington is a CARTRIDGE. Remington Fireball is just an improved version of the the basic .17 Remington. It's deeply rooted in the Police establishment this NEED TO CONTROL even when they have no idea about what they're trying to control. Firearms Licensing is one job where you don't have to know anything to do well and get promoted. I can think of no other job where the people are not expected to know anything about the subject over which they rule ........................... ahh with the possible exception of Parliment.

In Suffolk I've always had to fill in a complete form for a 1-for-1, but it's always been processed quite quickly.

While I agree with what has been said here about calibre vs cartridge, I think arguing about this would be counterproductive? They either can't or won't see the difference...

Andrew

Actually it's the shooters fault for letting them get away with it for so long.. If they had been put right years ago perhaps we would not be in the situation we are now with every county going their own different way. But some will not say anything for fear of upsetting them. despite the fact theta they are supposed to be Civil servants or public servants..

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkie View Post
    Complete variation form in West Yorks for a one for one.

I run a 30-06AI and you will love it.

I am using 175 Berger Hunting at 2975fps.

Yorkie.
    That performance is impressive. It's .300WSM/.300WM territory.

I agree that it's another blue form 101 Variation job. In my County you wouldn't get away with less.

The form does say Application for .... (Calibre) but the true meaning of the descriptor was lost years ago. They insist on a specific cartridge being named now.

The reason isn't just bureaucracy. You have to have a cartridge allocation of X rounds. This couldn't be controlled if any '.30-calibre' ammunition was permitted. You could then buy up to a dozen or so different cartridges ... from .30-30 to .300 Win Mag ... and would have ammunition for rifles you didn't have, and didn't have an authorisation for. It would be a nightmare for the FLD. As things stand now (in my County anyway) any RFD who didn't query this on an FAC or transaction would certainly get a bollocking and could lose his own Certificate.