Montana Elk

devon deer stalker

Hi All,
Anyone ever hunted a bull elk in Montana? (with the exception of Muir!)
Looking for some advice or recommendations of outfitters please.
It won't be for a couple of years but its definately on the agenda.
Having been to MT a couple of times for the fly fishing i really fancy the idea of doing a hunt in the snow in the back of beyond, its a stunning state is Montana.
The difference between the fishing and hunting is the system in Montana and other states, i.e. the tag system, so i don't need a guide for fishing but would for the hunting.
I am aware this can get the backs up of some MT locals when an ousider just pays for an outfitter (tag guaranteed) and goes hunting, but if there is another way other than going down the outfitter route i would be up for it.
Is it easy to take a rifle to the states? 30-06?
And i would take my fly rod if there is any way to catch a fish as well!

Many thanks

Richard

Rick Whiteley has contacts in Wyoming who may know of people in MT if that's any good to you mate. Gunnrunner.cc is where you'll find him and he'll be able to advise you.

this fella is waiting in Wyoming ;)
IMG_0635.jpg

you could do worse than contact the local wildlife and fisheries people they have a register of outfitters

Be very careful booking an elk hunt in Montana. Elk numbers have collapsed since wolves were reintroduced into Yellowstone. I was out there hunting in 2009 for mule deer and pronghorn, and that was all the local hunters were talking about. Many of the elk outfitters have closed down, but in many areas they still hunt but the elk aren't just there, or if they are are now a lot more tuned into predation than they used to be. They have reopened a wolf season again this year but it will take years for the elk numbers to recover. Funnily enough you now see loads of elk near habitation during the winter because the wolves keep away from people.

Trout fishing is brilliant. Join the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation. I've been a member for 20 years. They have an excellent quarterly journal, 'Bugle', which will tell you all you need to know about elk, and lists loads of elk guides.

rmef.org

The wolf/elk problem is very area specific. Montana is a large state and there are plenty of Elk that aren't in wolf areas. We have 150,000 elk and about 500 wolves. In the area I live in (east/central Montana) everyone I know who hunts elk, generally, gets one if they put in the time and effort. We also rarely see wolves. As to the Yellowstone wolf problem, well, hunters will be shooting the hell out of the wolves soon enough. The big pressure is coming from the outfitters and cattlemen. I have seen wolves here even before the "reintroduction" of the wolf by the government. The only people who didn't know that the native wolf wasn't extinct was the wildlife biologists.

A guide is not required to hunt elk on public lands, but you get what you pay for. Most guides will guarantee a shot at a bull.~Muir

I have hunted Elk and deer in Idaho (next state) in the Frank Church River of No return Wilderness area. Very aptly named. What we call wilderness is very tame compared to their wilderness. Be prepared, it is very hard work, and you have to hunt really hard. Up at 4am, saddle up, pack, ride, walk, climb, siesta, walk, climb, ride, un pack and saddle, eat and drop into bed at 10-11pm. It is not just the mountains that are hard work, but the altitude. I live at see level and hunted at about 6-8000 feet which takes some getting used to. If you have time to acclimatise, do so.
An outfitter is worth it if you do not have any contacts.
It is harder to get rifles out of the UK than into the USA (or was when I did it), all the customs guys wanted to know was where and what was I hunting because they wanted to come along.
Like I say it is very hard work day after day after day. But worth all the effort, pain and expense, unforgettable.
Regards
Fairacre

I hunted Elk and Bear in 2006 at this place across the border in British Columbia. http://www.sawtoothbc.com/aboutsawtooth.cfm
Fantastic, once in a life time trip. I worked for them during my summer holiday from University. The deal was, I worked for free if they looked after my board and lodging. Two weeks before I was due to fly back to the UK, my boss gave me tags for an Elk and a Bear. Not in my wildest dreams did I think that would ever happen! I took the Elk on the 10th day. Spotted him at Dawn just as it was getting light and didn't take the shot until 1830hrs. That’s what you call a good stalk! He had a heard of 28 Cow elk with him. That’s an awful lot of eyes and ears. Oh yeah and he was on the other side of the mountain with a huge river between us. It took all day to get down the mountain, cross the river and back up the opposite side. Nice 6x6 bull, nothing spectacular for out there but one of the best days of my life so far!
The bear was exciting, last day before I flew back, found this big black bear right up the top of a mountain turning over huge boulders foraging. The wind was perfect for us. We tied up the horses and carried on dismounted. Scrambled up a burn for some 500 yards and popped up where we thought we would be parallel to the bear for a 200yard shot. Had a bit of a shock when she was in fact 40 yards away. She was so engrossed foraging remarkably she had not heard us scrabbling up the rocky burn. No time to fumble with safety catches and take a bad shot. I wanted to take the shot before the adrenaline hit me and gave me the shakes. I mounted the 300 H&H as if mounting a shotgun on a walked up woodcock. One shot right in the engine room bowled her over. I don't recall the kick from the rifle. I immediately re loaded and put a second shot in for good measure. During the summer I had heard a lot of horror stories about shots on bears going wrong and did not want to be apart of one. It was a nice clean kill and an old female, not in the best of condition considering she should be fat as butter with the winter round the corner. So I was pleased it was more of a cull beast than a glorious male in his prime.
An amazing experience and cost me only my flights. Not forgetting the enormous taxidermy bill that came about a year later!!

I hunted Elk and Bear in 2006 at this place across the border in British Columbia. http://www.sawtoothbc.com/aboutsawtooth.cfm
Fantastic, once in a life time trip. I worked for them during my summer holiday from University. The deal was, I worked for free if they looked after my board and lodging. Two weeks before I was due to fly back to the UK, my boss gave me tags for an Elk and a Bear. Not in my wildest dreams did I think that would ever happen! I took the Elk on the 10th day. Spotted him at Dawn just as it was getting light and didn't take the shot until 1830hrs. That’s what you call a good stalk! He had a heard of 28 Cow elk with him. That’s an awful lot of eyes and ears. Oh yeah and he was on the other side of the mountain with a huge river between us. It took all day to get down the mountain, cross the river and back up the opposite side. Nice 6x6 bull, nothing spectacular for out there but one of the best days of my life so far!
The bear was exciting, last day before I flew back, found this big black bear right up the top of a mountain turning over huge boulders foraging. The wind was perfect for us. We tied up the horses and carried on dismounted. Scrambled up a burn for some 500 yards and popped up where we thought we would be parallel to the bear for a 200yard shot. Had a bit of a shock when she was in fact 40 yards away. She was so engrossed foraging remarkably she had not heard us scrabbling up the rocky burn. No time to fumble with safety catches and take a bad shot. I wanted to take the shot before the adrenaline hit me and gave me the shakes. I mounted the 300 H&H as if mounting a shotgun on a walked up woodcock. One shot right in the engine room bowled her over. I don't recall the kick from the rifle. I immediately re loaded and put a second shot in for good measure. During the summer I had heard a lot of horror stories about shots on bears going wrong and did not want to be apart of one. It was a nice clean kill and an old female, not in the best of condition considering she should be fat as butter with the winter round the corner. So I was pleased it was more of a cull beast than a glorious male in his prime.
An amazing experience and cost me only my flights. Not forgetting the enormous taxidermy bill that came about a year later!!
Any pictures from any of you guys that have hunted there?

Hi I have just got back from Montana, sightseeing not hunting. It is my 5th trip there and I love it. I hope to buy a cabin there in the next couple of years. I wouldbe up for a joint hunt if you are willing??? Also fancy spring black bear in BC.
Matt

Just read 2428 miles thread. Mine was easy compared to that, but still extremely hard work. Once I had shot my elk, we boned it out and had to pack the meat out on a back frame as the tree fall was so thick we could not get the horses down to where it fell. The climb back up the mountin to the horses with the Trophy (head, antlers and cape down to shoulders was agony. Not only heavy but awkward with the antlers sticking out either side of the pack frame catching on all the branches, my friend offered to carry it for me but i was determined to do the whole thing and did not want ribbing about being a wimpy limey. Although i do have a fantatstic trophy now, the problem is the ceilings are to low in my house to display it.

Ok a few things to remember before/when planning that trip:-

1) Most states now require a Hunter safety certificate which you have to get before you go or allow enough added on time to do the course.

2) Temp Form 6 to import your rifle/s. Please remember that the BATF are about as good as some of our county Police forces at issuing permits and licences. Allow at least double the time they say. I did a trip in 2003 and was sweating and waiting on my Form 6 so finally phoned them. The first automatic response of the clerk on the phone is that it takes 6 weeks. And they mean at least 6 weeks as I found out. When I simply pointed out that it had been over 3 months and then asked to speak to a supervisor for an explanation suddenly my processed form was found sitting on a desk. Because of the shortness of time they had to fax them to me. On examination they had been duely processed with in a couple of weeks and just out on the desk to wait the remainder of the time then obviously forgotten. It seems there was no way they would sent it out in under six weeks. Be warned.

3) To enter the US now you need the complete address of where you will be staying including Zip code. Now complete address you don't come in. As we were camping this caused some problems fields don't tend to have ZIP codes but it was sorted out in the end by immigration.

4) Getting your DNR number to buy the tags. First time I was required to get them from the states (Missouri in my case) DNR main office who issued me with a Hunter number now I can log onto their web site and buy or walk in with the number and buy at any vendor who sells the tag by entering my number. Other states also ask for it so once you have one it helps.

5) Actually checking the rifle through was the simplest thing. have to respective permits and FAC and it's a breeze ............................ once one has cleared the hurdle that is immigration.

Using a guide service is different when it comes to tags I understand. I was hunting with friends.

Hope that helps someone.

Many thanks to everyone for the advice.
As i have been scratching the surface i found out lots more info.
What i didn't realise was the law changed in MT this year, and you can no longer get a outfitter sponsored tag, but non resident tags have gone up in price but more have been released, have i got that correct Muir?
I suppose it might be worth looking at neighbouring states, maybe Idaho.
Since i originally looked at the prices 3 years ago the outfitter prices have gone up quite considerably.
Sharing a guide does cut down the cost quite a bit so that might be an answer.
Brithunter, what is BATF?
Regarding the zip code, i thought it was your first nights accommodation address, however this might have changed since my last visit in 2008.
Of course i am looking forward to the hard work and effort required, and altitude doesn't affect me, or at least it didn't when i stayed on Colorado at over 10,000' for 2 weeks.
Maybe look into a self guided hunt, got lots of time to plan this.
Cheers
Richard

Dont worry about zip codes. I never know where I am staying as it is organised through work so I just give details of someone out there who I will be contactable by and I have never had a problem.

If you havent been since 2008 you will also need to fill in an ESTA online before you go (it saves doing that card thingy on the plane)

Many thanks to everyone for the advice.
As i have been scratching the surface i found out lots more info.
What i didn't realise was the law changed in MT this year, and you can no longer get a outfitter sponsored tag, but non resident tags have gone up in price but more have been released, have i got that correct Muir?
I suppose it might be worth looking at neighbouring states, maybe Idaho.
Since i originally looked at the prices 3 years ago the outfitter prices have gone up quite considerably.
Sharing a guide does cut down the cost quite a bit so that might be an answer.
Brithunter, what is BATF?
Regarding the zip code, i thought it was your first nights accommodation address, however this might have changed since my last visit in 2008.
Of course i am looking forward to the hard work and effort required, and altitude doesn't affect me, or at least it didn't when i stayed on Colorado at over 10,000' for 2 weeks.
Maybe look into a self guided hunt, got lots of time to plan this.
Cheers
Richard

"Brithunter, what is BATF?"

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms it's they who issue the Form 6 temp permit to import your rifle.

The fact that you must give a physical address and zip code for your accommodations doesn't mean that you aren't free to travel once here. No one will be checking your papers at every street corner.~Muir

Last edited:
Brithunter, you seem to have great difficulty dealing with licensing bureaucracy the world over....

I can only report what I found and what happened. The BATF are not known for being customer friendly it seems. On another note the DNR (Department of Natural Resources) in Missouri and Colorado were most helpful. Those are the only ones I have had personal contact with.

On the address bit I had to wait with loads of package holiday folks, who didn't know the full address only ye hotel/resort name, whilst immigration phoned my buddy who told them the same we were camping so after some head scratching they decided to use his address in St Louis. We then had a quick chat on the hunting and what I was hoping to get and then off with a nice lady guiding me to the customs guy dealing with the rifle. I got out the temp form 6 my hunting tags and FAC and laid them out for him which seemed to bemuse him a bit. So i said I believe you want to see these? he replied you seem to know as much about it as I do and again we chatted about the hunting trip in fact he almost forgot to check the serial number of the rifle then he nearly handed me the rifle before remembering it had to go onto another flight. Customs at Gatwick was easy and well handled I might add but it could have been another story but I had been up and sorted out the procedure two weeks before. Good job too as they don't handle many passengers with rifles so the Airline check in staff were unsure how to do it. This was back in 2003 so it might have changed again since then so if I was doing it again I would check carefully.

Back