Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: advice for first deer stalk/shoot

advice for first deer stalk/shoot

I am looking to go on my first deer stalk. At the moment I am emailing "stalkinginengland" and they can offer a stalk or shooting from a high seat.
    Have any of you been to them before? would you recommend them? Who would you recommend.

I would be using an estate rifle as I have not got a caliber for deer.

I am trying to gain knowledge and experience, then I will buy my own deer rifle, so that I can do some stalking colser to home on my permission.

thank you

I'm relatively new to this myself and I will give you some thoughts relating to my own experiences. They may not fit with your position but on the other hand if you find them useful that is worthwhile:

At the start try to go for hinds/does as they are less expensive and you can get more stalking for your cash.

Go as soon as you can - my only regret with regards to stalking is that I didn't do it sooner.

Go to Scotland for red deer on the hill - not always inexpensive when you factor in travel etc. but for me this is the ultimate in stalking experiences. People travel from across the world to do it so do it as soon as you can but again start with the hinds in winter.

If going to Scotland get as fit as you can before you go - on some estates this doesn't matter so much as they have quads and argos but on others you can do big miles on difficult ground. The days are shorter in winter so if you are less fit hinds might offer an easier option, though this is open to debate for various reasons :-)

Don't get too bogged down in fancy gadgets and "stuff" - all you need is decent boots, a good coat (I use mil surplus so this is inexpensive) and decent binoculars. Your guide will provide almost everything else except, perhaps, for lunch. You can add stuff as you need it and spread the cost over time.

Despite my reservations about being required to do the DSC 1 it is something worth doing and worth planning for it in the future.

If you have a good experience with a guide on ground you like then go back a few times as it is interesting to see how tactics change with conditions and time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    I'm relatively new to this myself and I will give you some thoughts relating to my own experiences. They may not fit with your position but on the other hand if you find them useful that is worthwhile:

At the start try to go for hinds/does as they are less expensive and you can get more stalking for your cash.

Go as soon as you can - my only regret with regards to stalking is that I didn't do it sooner.

Go to Scotland for red deer on the hill - not always inexpensive when you factor in travel etc. but for me this is the ultimate in stalking experiences. People travel from across the world to do it so do it as soon as you can but again start with the hinds in winter.

If going to Scotland get as fit as you can before you go - on some estates this doesn't matter so much as they have quads and argos but on others you can do big miles on difficult ground. The days are shorter in winter so if you are less fit hinds might offer an easier option, though this is open to debate for various reasons :-)

Don't get too bogged down in fancy gadgets and "stuff" - all you need is decent boots, a good coat (I use mil surplus so this is inexpensive) and decent binoculars. Your guide will provide almost everything else except, perhaps, for lunch. You can add stuff as you need it and spread the cost over time.

Despite my reservations about being required to do the DSC 1 it is something worth doing and worth planning for it in the future.

If you have a good experience with a guide on ground you like then go back a few times as it is interesting to see how tactics change with conditions and time of year.
    Very good advice

Sitting in a high seat is not really a experience so try to avoid at all costs

Quote Originally Posted by whitehackle View Post
    I am looking to go on my first deer stalk. At the moment I am emailing "stalkinginengland" and they can offer a stalk or shooting from a high seat.
    Have any of you been to them before? would you recommend them? Who would you recommend.

I would be using an estate rifle as I have not got a caliber for deer.

I am trying to gain knowledge and experience, then I will buy my own deer rifle, so that I can do some stalking colser to home on my permission.

thank you
    Personally I would drop calton moor range or dweeb a pm ( members of this site)
    see what the price and availability is
    they hav reds and fallow in yor area and are local lads, plus Mike knows his stuff and will do his best to see you right
    also will hav an estate rifle available
    it is only a cost of a phone call and that way you get a definant answer or booking
    I don't know about stalking england so can't comment,
    but I can comment about calton moor range and can defo recommend

Quote Originally Posted by whitehackle View Post
    I am emailing "stalkinginengland" and they can offer a stalk or shooting from a high seat.
    Have any of you been to them before? would you recommend them?
    I've met Mark who runs it, and been out with Rob (his colleague) earlier this year. Very friendly, very professional, tried their very best to get me a roe buck but as is always the case, no matter how hard you try you don't always come up trumps. I had a thoroughly enjoyable outing. Rob was knowledgable and friendly. We stalked one area (along the edges of some fields), saw a fawn & bumped a doe, but no bucks. Drove to another area & stalked that (through woodland), saw quite a few red hinds. Then finished up in a doe box (overlooking meadow bordering woodland) until I could hardly see the end of the barrel for darkness - no luck.

I'll be back to see them sometime!
    Last edited by stig; 21-08-2011 at 21:30.

Quote Originally Posted by eggy s View Post
    That's one opinion. I shot my first ever deer from a highseat and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I wouldn't want to do it everytime, but it's certainly worth experiencing. You also see a lot of wildlife going about it's daily business when you're sat quietly high up a tree for a few hours!

Whitehackle,

I'm from East Staffs and was in a similar position to you a couple of years ago. Drop me a PM with your number and I'll give you a call. There's too much to write it all down.

Cheers,

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by eggy s View Post
    If I could put my bit in. If you read the first post you will find that the potential client has no experiance. This is why i suggested high seat after some range work. When we have seen what the gentleman is capable of and have witnessed him from the comparative safty of the high seat then and only then will I consider ground stalking. I would like to take him on but as the buck stops with me I make the decissions. If any one is prepared to take a first time stalker out on the hill they have the chance.

Mark
    STALKING. WILD BOAR IN FRANCE. SOLE UK AGENT FOR BACONNES DOMAINE DE CHASSE. TRAINING. DSC 1 COURSES AND DSC 2 WITNESSING. FIRST AID FOR STALKERS.
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
    www.stalkinginengland.co.uk Stalkers online shop at www.deerstalkingequipmentandclothing.co.uk
    www.hunteurope.co.uk or contact 01728 745066 during office hours.

Quote Originally Posted by bunwell wood shoot View Post
    If I could put my bit in. If you read the first post you will find that the potential client has no experiance. This is why i suggested high seat after some range work. When we have seen what the gentleman is capable of and have witnessed him from the comparative safty of the high seat then and only then will I consider ground stalking. I would like to take him on but as the buck stops with me I make the decissions. If any one is prepared to take a first time stalker out on the hill they have the chance.

Mark
    Firstly I was not having a go, I was just saying that I don't think sitting in a high seat offers much of a experience.

As you said the buck stops with you and all of us that guide. If you are happy with his performance on the range, you have given him the safety brief and you give the nod on taking a safe shot there is no reason to take people out ground stalking for their first experience.

But each to their own. When people stalk with me I prefer (95% of the time they enjoy more as well) to actually stalk