advice for first deer stalk/shoot

whitehackle

I am looking to go on my first deer stalk. At the moment I am emailing "stalkinginengland" and they can offer a stalk or shooting from a high seat.
Have any of you been to them before? would you recommend them? Who would you recommend.

I would be using an estate rifle as I have not got a caliber for deer.

I am trying to gain knowledge and experience, then I will buy my own deer rifle, so that I can do some stalking colser to home on my permission.

thank you

I'm relatively new to this myself and I will give you some thoughts relating to my own experiences. They may not fit with your position but on the other hand if you find them useful that is worthwhile:

At the start try to go for hinds/does as they are less expensive and you can get more stalking for your cash.

Go as soon as you can - my only regret with regards to stalking is that I didn't do it sooner.

Go to Scotland for red deer on the hill - not always inexpensive when you factor in travel etc. but for me this is the ultimate in stalking experiences. People travel from across the world to do it so do it as soon as you can but again start with the hinds in winter.

If going to Scotland get as fit as you can before you go - on some estates this doesn't matter so much as they have quads and argos but on others you can do big miles on difficult ground. The days are shorter in winter so if you are less fit hinds might offer an easier option, though this is open to debate for various reasons :)

Don't get too bogged down in fancy gadgets and "stuff" - all you need is decent boots, a good coat (I use mil surplus so this is inexpensive) and decent binoculars. Your guide will provide almost everything else except, perhaps, for lunch. You can add stuff as you need it and spread the cost over time.

Despite my reservations about being required to do the DSC 1 it is something worth doing and worth planning for it in the future.

If you have a good experience with a guide on ground you like then go back a few times as it is interesting to see how tactics change with conditions and time of year.

I'm relatively new to this myself and I will give you some thoughts relating to my own experiences. They may not fit with your position but on the other hand if you find them useful that is worthwhile:

At the start try to go for hinds/does as they are less expensive and you can get more stalking for your cash.

Go as soon as you can - my only regret with regards to stalking is that I didn't do it sooner.

Go to Scotland for red deer on the hill - not always inexpensive when you factor in travel etc. but for me this is the ultimate in stalking experiences. People travel from across the world to do it so do it as soon as you can but again start with the hinds in winter.

If going to Scotland get as fit as you can before you go - on some estates this doesn't matter so much as they have quads and argos but on others you can do big miles on difficult ground. The days are shorter in winter so if you are less fit hinds might offer an easier option, though this is open to debate for various reasons :)

Don't get too bogged down in fancy gadgets and "stuff" - all you need is decent boots, a good coat (I use mil surplus so this is inexpensive) and decent binoculars. Your guide will provide almost everything else except, perhaps, for lunch. You can add stuff as you need it and spread the cost over time.

Despite my reservations about being required to do the DSC 1 it is something worth doing and worth planning for it in the future.

If you have a good experience with a guide on ground you like then go back a few times as it is interesting to see how tactics change with conditions and time of year.

Very good advice:thumb:

I am looking to go on my first deer stalk. At the moment I am emailing "stalkinginengland" and they can offer a stalk or shooting from a high seat.
Have any of you been to them before? would you recommend them? Who would you recommend.

I would be using an estate rifle as I have not got a caliber for deer.

I am trying to gain knowledge and experience, then I will buy my own deer rifle, so that I can do some stalking colser to home on my permission.

thank you
Personally I would drop calton moor range or dweeb a pm ( members of this site)
see what the price and availability is
they hav reds and fallow in yor area and are local lads, plus Mike knows his stuff and will do his best to see you right
also will hav an estate rifle available
it is only a cost of a phone call and that way you get a definant answer or booking
I don't know about stalking england so can't comment,
but I can comment about calton moor range and can defo recommend

I am emailing "stalkinginengland" and they can offer a stalk or shooting from a high seat.
Have any of you been to them before? would you recommend them?

I've met Mark who runs it, and been out with Rob (his colleague) earlier this year. Very friendly, very professional, tried their very best to get me a roe buck but as is always the case, no matter how hard you try you don't always come up trumps. I had a thoroughly enjoyable outing. Rob was knowledgable and friendly. We stalked one area (along the edges of some fields), saw a fawn & bumped a doe, but no bucks. Drove to another area & stalked that (through woodland), saw quite a few red hinds. Then finished up in a doe box (overlooking meadow bordering woodland) until I could hardly see the end of the barrel for darkness - no luck.

I'll be back to see them sometime!

Last edited:
Sitting in a high seat is not really a experience so try to avoid at all costs

That's one opinion. I shot my first ever deer from a highseat and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I wouldn't want to do it everytime, but it's certainly worth experiencing. You also see a lot of wildlife going about it's daily business when you're sat quietly high up a tree for a few hours!

Whitehackle,

I'm from East Staffs and was in a similar position to you a couple of years ago. Drop me a PM with your number and I'll give you a call. There's too much to write it all down.

Cheers,

Bob

If I could put my bit in. If you read the first post you will find that the potential client has no experiance. This is why i suggested high seat after some range work. When we have seen what the gentleman is capable of and have witnessed him from the comparative safty of the high seat then and only then will I consider ground stalking. I would like to take him on but as the buck stops with me I make the decissions. If any one is prepared to take a first time stalker out on the hill they have the chance.

Mark

If I could put my bit in. If you read the first post you will find that the potential client has no experiance. This is why i suggested high seat after some range work. When we have seen what the gentleman is capable of and have witnessed him from the comparative safty of the high seat then and only then will I consider ground stalking. I would like to take him on but as the buck stops with me I make the decissions. If any one is prepared to take a first time stalker out on the hill they have the chance.

Mark

Firstly I was not having a go, I was just saying that I don't think sitting in a high seat offers much of a experience.

As you said the buck stops with you and all of us that guide. If you are happy with his performance on the range, you have given him the safety brief and you give the nod on taking a safe shot there is no reason to take people out ground stalking for their first experience.

But each to their own. When people stalk with me I prefer (95% of the time they enjoy more as well) to actually stalk :)

Firstly I was not having a go, I was just saying that I don't think sitting in a high seat offers much of a experience.

As you said the buck stops with you and all of us that guide. If you are happy with his performance on the range, you have given him the safety brief and you give the nod on taking a safe shot there is no reason to take people out ground stalking for their first experience.

But each to their own. When people stalk with me I prefer (95% of the time they enjoy more as well) to actually stalk :)

Fair comment But in fact I really do like the highseat stuff. We have a lot of muntjac and as you are aware they are very difficult to stalk on foot. I love the quiet and the sights from the seat. To be fair I was under the impression that whitehackle intended a couple of stalks over 2 days and have already said that I am looking at a ground stalk on the second day providing all is well.

Sorry if I sounded abrupt, we are getting close to our first partridge day so everyone is getting it in the ear.

Regards

Mark

I would disagree, (in part)
shooting deer from a high seat can be a great thing, especially for the novice.
A. the deer can be watched doing what they do without disturbance.
B. the shot can usually be taken from a good rest with relativley more time.
C. you get to see all sorts of wildlife.
D. if you are quiet you can talk to your guide and learn things you maybe wouldn't during a stalk.
I often use high seats for someones first deer as it puts them in a better position then shooting from the sticks after a tense stalk.
There is loads of time to learn stalking as well as shooting deer from high seats.
Quite often a short stalk into the seat will produce a deer.
They are a useful tool for the deer manager and should not be dismissed because its not stalking.
They are also as stated a great tool to teach someone how to shoot their first deer in a more relaxed atmosphere. (take it from someone who has taught dozens of novice stalkers).
I also HAVE stalked on bunwell shoot with this outfit with 2 friends of mine and we all could only sing the praises of mark and his team.
Good luck and shoot straight.

I would disagree, (in part)
shooting deer from a high seat can be a great thing, especially for the novice.
A. the deer can be watched doing what they do without disturbance.
B. the shot can usually be taken from a good rest with relativley more time.
C. you get to see all sorts of wildlife.
D. if you are quiet you can talk to your guide and learn things you maybe wouldn't during a stalk.
I often use high seats for someones first deer as it puts them in a better position then shooting from the sticks after a tense stalk.
There is loads of time to learn stalking as well as shooting deer from high seats.
Quite often a short stalk into the seat will produce a deer.
They are a useful tool for the deer manager and should not be dismissed because its not stalking.
They are also as stated a great tool to teach someone how to shoot their first deer in a more relaxed atmosphere. (take it from someone who has taught dozens of novice stalkers).
I also HAVE stalked on bunwell shoot with this outfit with 2 friends of mine and we all could only sing the praises of mark and his team.
Good luck and shoot straight.

At no point was I having a go at Mark and his team so there was no need for you to get so defensive for them!!!

I was just voicing my opinion on what provides the better experience for first time stalkers.

I prefer my novices (yes I teach them to) to actually work and experience what true stalking is, once they have experienced that and they enjoy it then it is up to them if they want to use a high seat or not.

My Moto is experience over a kill. If we killed something every time we went out there would not be a challenge in doing it.

So far this year I have used 1 of our 72 high seats with a client and that was because we where after a very particular buck, after 40mins my client was getting fidgety so we climbed down and actually shot the buck 5 meters off the high seat as it was actually out of sight when we were on the seat.

As I have previously said I was just voicing my opinion, so take it or leave it.

Eggy, if you think I was being off hand, you have my appoligy as I never meant to come over that way.
It was late when I posted after coming in from foxing.
I to however pride myself on stalking experience (hence the name). but what i said still stands, they are a great tool especially for novices and secure a better shot then a first time off sticks. (better not only for the client but also the deer).
kind regards John.
Yorkshireroe STALKING
P.s I have 15 seats and use them about 5% of the time.

Hi lads
if i can put my twopenath in , i have 53 hiseats and use them all the time . the job of deer management is knowing when and were the deer are moveing . shooting a deer from a hiseat is not a non sporting shot deer , there are times when stalking/moveing you wo'nt see anything , becuse of wether conditions or nerversness of the deer ? in the case of a novice there is a lot to take on board so to get confidense in bullet/shot placesment . if the novices is accmpanided there is a lot thay can learn by doing a few hiseat stalks/hunts
all the best
mike

As a novice myself I can certainly see the usefulness of highseats.

I like to get down on the ground and stalk iinto deer but on the other hand it can also be nice to sit in a highseat and watch the world go by, specially if it has gone flat calm and stalking is nearly impossible. At first, or even at present, it takes a while to get everything to come together when shooting - deer in the right position, shot safe, stable rest and so on - and the highseat helps with that. It is also confidence inspiring to get a good shot and clean kill and I would say that the chances of everything coming together for this are probably increased for the beginner when shooting from a highseat.

So, I wouldn't like to shoot from a highseat all the time but on the other hand I enjoy doing it occasionally even when I have free choice. My big problem with highseats is that when I sit still I get really, really cold (nearly regardless of the weather) and then my bladder gives in so I'm up and down the ladder disturbing the ground!!

Back