Thread: Trophy

Trophy

Shot a buck on Thursday night and to be honest I never even really gave a thought to his medal potential but I've since skinned and boiled out the head and weighed the full skull @ around 600grams and Ive got to thinking. Looking at the Basc page on trophies it appears that a roe full skull has to achieve a dry weight of 570g to be considered for gold. Mine still need to be scraped for last few remnant yet though so will be a little lighter.

Also how much weight will be lost in the drying process?

I realise that there is alot more to it than weight but as I know zero about the matter I would like some opinions as to whether this buck will be a medal prospect.

His longest antler is around 21.5cm (which I realise is short) and the other is perhaps a cm or so shorther (looks as ifit has been broken in combat) but he looks to have good volume & pearilng.

Never been a trophy hunter, more interested in the meat, but this one has me wondering.

"Imagine you're a deer. You're prancing along, you get thirsty, you spot a little brook, you put your little deer lips down to the cool clear water... BAM! A f**kin bullet rips off part of your head! Your brains are laying on the ground in little bloody pieces! Now I ask ya. Would you give a f**k what kind of pants the son of a bitch who shot you was wearing?"

Looks good for some sort of medal stephen well done

james

Trophy

Looks a nice head,just wait three months then get it measured cant really help with the amount of weight loss in roe heads.Worth mounting on a shield, happy days

Will make a medal in my opiniion....

Thanks for the replies. Sounds as if it will be worth getting measured then.

Cheers Stephen
    "Imagine you're a deer. You're prancing along, you get thirsty, you spot a little brook, you put your little deer lips down to the cool clear water... BAM! A f**kin bullet rips off part of your head! Your brains are laying on the ground in little bloody pieces! Now I ask ya. Would you give a f**k what kind of pants the son of a bitch who shot you was wearing?"

Wee update to this - made bronze, measured at Scone this year.