Am I barking up the wrong tree?

The few Beagles I have met have been little s*ds. They disappear at a moments notice on a scent trail for hours.

Some friends of ours have a Teckle who is an absolute star. They use him for stalking and were so impressed they got another. You couldn't have found two different dogs!! They rehomed the second dog in the end to someone who ran a pack of them...

We have working Cockers that are used for beating, so am biased. Good family dogs, great characters and a good nose. I am new to stalking, but can see how they may take to the job of a deer dog.

The few Beagles I have met have been little s*ds. They disappear at a moments notice on a scent trail for hours.

Some friends of ours have a Teckle who is an absolute star. They use him for stalking and were so impressed they got another. You couldn't have found two different dogs!! They rehomed the second dog in the end to someone who ran a pack of them...

We have working Cockers that are used for beating, so am biased. Good family dogs, great characters and a good nose. I am new to stalking, but can see how they may take to the job of a deer dog.

Yes I go with that. We board one each summer and we have had a pack of beagles here hunting They killed 2 hen pheasants and a rabbit and ran off a lot. The one we board..... well I am not sure who his father is and nor has his mother.

I am very fond of Border Terriers, they tend to be less yappy than some other terriers, can be better round children too.

I will admit to a fondness for Patterdales as well, but a good line can be hard to find.

Simon

Beagles are mental, lovely but mental. If I was in your shoe's I'd get a jack russel or a patterdale. Farm worker two farms down has a Jack Russel, you never see them apart... EVER. Very loyal little dogs

As I type my Patterdale is sleeping on my knee. She came to my wedding, comes on holiday.Fantastic little dog. So long as you keep an eye on here she's very good.

I have known terriers run off for hours as well as beagles, my father had a beagle for yrs it was as loyal as any dog stuck by his side all day, don,t compare beagles used to hunt as a pack as a dog trained to be a pet. As for killing pheasants I had a patterdale x jr that killed more pheasants on a shoot day than the guns:) also was given a Plummer terrier known as bill the bxxxxxxd I learn,t why after few days, ended up in the vwh country.

My hound ,

Forget it pal this is the long legged fox version, stubborn , gutty and liable to feck off as soon as your backs turned .
Pm me if you need some horror stories:D .
Brough.

Attachments

• Percy.jpg
    Percy.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 14
I am very much a terrier man, ive had jacks for the last 25 years plus, i have the same blood line i started with. They are the wire haired short legged model, which i found to be of the best temperment and as loyal as any dog could be. But every one to there own. keep us all posted on your final choice.

Brough is that a harrier you have there, if so he will keep you on your toes, but at least you will know which way he is heading.

have you considered a mutt from the local dogs home? They can be just more loyal, wonderful characters........if you don't need a dog for a certain job but just as company then they can be trained to do most jobs adequately.

Our best hearing dog puppy was a pointer x something x something...........plus you help a needy dog, they are cheaper and seem to appreciate being rescued and having a kind loving home and repay that 10fold....If you've rescued a dog you will know what I mean

i carnt understand everyone going on about terriers there not a good one out there they are all little sh**s dont take on bit of notice of you bugger off for sometimes weeks at a time gone back beaten up shagged out generally just try there best to wind you up get a cocker or a teckel cockers will do everything any other working dog will do ive no experience of teckels but ive had a couple of mini dachshunds apart from back troubles they are the best house /work dogs about, might be a bit small to jump in the tractor though

have you considered a mutt from the local dogs home? They can be just more loyal, wonderful characters........if you don't need a dog for a certain job but just as company then they can be trained to do most jobs adequately.

Our best hearing dog puppy was a pointer x something x something...........plus you help a needy dog, they are cheaper and seem to appreciate being rescued and having a kind loving home and repay that 10fold....If you've rescued a dog you will know what I mean

Yeah had thought of that but again I'm just a fussy bugger n want it to be right. Have always had cheap dogs / free dogs on the farm. Generally as an owd un gets put down the vet knows of another that's what we need. But as much as they are pets, they never come in the house. Best we had was a ridgeback x black lab. Great dog with a fetish for eating glass but so much character n so many tales. Once made a snidey looking fella snooping round the place wet himself!

But now I'm trying to be sensible n thinking of what new dog will be like round any future kids etc (a pup will only buy me so long!)

More searching required I think.

I have known terriers run off for hours as well as beagles, my father had a beagle for yrs it was as loyal as any dog stuck by his side all day, don,t compare beagles used to hunt as a pack as a dog trained to be a pet. As for killing pheasants I had a patterdale x jr that killed more pheasants on a shoot day than the guns:) also was given a Plummer terrier known as bill the bxxxxxxd I learn,t why after few days, ended up in the vwh country.

That's the first thumbs up
For the beagle !

I had wondered similar, whether one from
Working hound pack would be different to one bred for pets.

I have put all your views to the mrs, and obviously cos she fancies one your all wrong!

Like I said earlier were in no rush. So plenty of time to chat to folk and breeders and owners etc.

It's not a decision I will take lightly, as it will affect us for a long time, and has to be right for all involved, especially the dog!

Get a border or a jack russel,loyal wee dogs and will follow deer no probs,beagles can be a handfull,the neighbours had one and everyone called him satan,give you an idea,his name was actually Robbie
The thing with terriers is they will fit in a jacket up a seat or in a tractor no probs
Go with a lab if you have a big tractor
Patterdales of working stuff can be hard as nails
Depends on what you want,heaps out there to choose from,good luck

personally I can't see what a beagle can offer, they've never been bred to work for you, they work for themselves and you follow. They are pack dogs, kind of like owning a very small foxhound.

Obviously all dogs can be trained but soe want to and some don't, my pointer x greyhound is adequately trained but was extremely hard work. He just doesn't have the desire to please, very loving but not keen to please. My GWP from Trudvang lines, just loves to please and will do anything just to hear the words "good boy". I think a beagle will be very independan, unless you get a show bred one which defeats the object of a working dog!

As a Joint Master of beagles, no registered pack can buy or sell hounds. Pre-Hunting Act 2004, we've spent generations breeding them not to hunt riot (i.e. anything other than their true quarry); some beagles that show too much interest in deer are sent to packs were there aren't any. That said, there's no reason why a stud-book bred hound (as opposed to a Kennel Club registered show-bred type) wouldn't hunt the line of a deer as a tracking hound.

Back