Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheshire Deer?

Cheshire Deer?

Im sure this has been asked before, in fact I've probably asked it myself, but with new members joining all the time I thought it worth raising again.

Given its large deer parks, why does cheshire not have a sizeable wild population? I'm thinking of fallow here. I know of places in other parts with tiny parks which have wild living populations adjacent.

I appreciate that the bigger parks probably do more properly maintain their fencing, but id have thought such long established set ups would have had a few sizeable escapes over the years big enough to establish a free living herd?

Novice

There are some fallow about in Cheshire and they originally where escapees from a local park. Seek and ye shall find
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Your not looking in the right place the problem is getting permission on some of the local estates,its who you know.

Given the size and rural nature of the county deer are quite thin on the ground in most of Cheshire however there are a few about. As well as the fallow mentioned there are some reds to the eastern edge of the county, in the Peaks, there are some muntjac, particularly in the Dane valley, and I think they are getting into Delamere Forest, and apparently also near the Welsh border in the Rosset area but these may not have been confirmed and there may also be a few roe creeping in from both the east and the north.

I'd heard of munties in the Dane valley, but always thought that sightings were based on hearsay and wishful thinking! Is it established that there is a viable population thereabouts?

I'm guessing the free living fallow are in the south and west of the county? Having said that I've personally seen a couple on the northern edge of the county, but that was a long time ago and in hindsight wouldn't read too much from that as there being more about in that area.

Novice

Hello lads i may not be getting the picture i have seen red at Bosley in Macclesfield but i have spoken to the keeper on High legh estate and he says he has seen roe slots on there there are no other wild deer in cheshire the munties in delamare were put there by the forestry commision other than that there are no deer in cheshire

Quote Originally Posted by mark@mbb View Post
    Hello lads i may not be getting the picture i have seen red at Bosley in Macclesfield but i have spoken to the keeper on High legh estate and he says he has seen roe slots on there there are no other wild deer in cheshire the munties in delamare were put there by the forestry commision other than that there are no deer in cheshire
    I think you'll find that there are quite a few reds on the eastern side of the county, not too far from Bosley. For the FC to release munties anywhere in Cheshire is hard to swallow as they shoot them on sight everywhere else and their release other than an injured animal back into the wild is probably illegal. Munties in the Dane valley were certainly confirmed a couple of years ago.

Any chance Ivor Williams could drop some off soon, just to speed things up a bit.
    Your a long time dead..GET OUT THERE.

Positive sighting of Muntjac in Warrington earlier this year,not so much a rural species ,they seem to be travelling and venturing into he inner city parks and nature reserves

There are lots of reds in the Derbyshire/Cheshire penine area. Mostly escapees that have been wild and breeding for donkeys years. Originally believed to have come from Lyme Park Disley, and spread through Goyt Valley and across to Bosley.
    Stalking them.....have speaks with Mike at Calton Moor Range.....you'll find him on this site & he'll tell you what's what.
    Roe have also been seen in the last few years around Macclesfield/Northwich areas.
    Cheers,
    Last edited by deeangeo; 23-08-2011 at 06:24.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!