Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quad question

Quad question

Hello!

this is one for the technically minded of you. My quad (suzuki eiger) has started to struggle going uphill, it sounds as if the fuel doesn't feed properly, it starts coughing a bit and on steeper angles it almost sets out.

once I get back on more level ground, it 'catches' on again and whizzes away sounding just like it should.

any ideas?

Start with the basics, is it getting enough fuel of the right mixture, if I was you I would start with the air filter and fuel filter/supply.

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

I can only agree with JB it sounds to me that either the air filter is blocked or the plug is breaking down under pressure.
    When I fixed Bikes for a living I had a Kawasaki Z1A come in with a misfire at 8000rpm in 5th gear and nowhere else = about 120mph it was caused by the air filter, fitted new one problem solved.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

open the drain screw on the carb might be some water in the carb

if it is struggling uphill and not at a particular rev range I would say it has more to do with being under load rather than not getting enough fuel/air.
    if it was a starvation issue it would do it on the flat when wide open as well.

I had an old banger that did this and it would miss on one cylinder under load, usually up hill.
    it turned out to be blowing oil (combination of rings and valve stem seals) and coating the spark plug with oil.

I would start with the basics, plugs leads, filters, fuel

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    if it is struggling uphill and not at a particular rev range I would say it has more to do with being under load rather than not getting enough fuel/air.
    if it was a starvation issue it would do it on the flat when wide open as well.

I had an old banger that did this and it would miss on one cylinder under load, usually up hill.
    it turned out to be blowing oil (combination of rings and valve stem seals) and coating the spark plug with oil.

I would start with the basics, plugs leads, filters, fuel
    sounds more like it, as it's a four stroke it takes straight unleaded, so no mixture issues there. It 'is' indeed under load or strain (potentially associated with going uphill, rather than because 'of' going uphill/angled), where the issues arise! it does seem to let out more dark exhaust during these periods that otherwise, so perhaps very similar issues to yours Bewsher. If it is "it turned out to be blowing oil (combination of rings and valve stem seals) and coating the spark plug with oil." equivalent problems, is there any quick cure?

yes, it is usually associated with higher mileage engine with worn components that leak/weep oil under pressure (i.e. load).
    quick fix which works is slap a tin of Wynns for Oil (often referred to as "Supercharger treatment") in the oil filler cap.
    it is like treacle, makes you oil much higher viscosity with no appreciable issues. I have run several old bangers on this stuff and short of stripping engine/cylinder heads it tends to solve the problem.
    You may find you need to chuck another can in now and then but at a fiver a pop it is a fix worth trying out before you commit hundreds/thousands to replacement or repair.

what colour is your dark exhaust? if black then on the whole that is too much fuel. If Blue then it tends to show oil in the combustion chamber, if White then it is usually steam from coolant or condensation.

not always easy to tell if it is all three.
    once blew up an engine and full throttle and the resultant smoke was brown!

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    yes, it is usually associated with higher mileage engine with worn components that leak/weep oil under pressure (i.e. load).
    quick fix which works is slap a tin of Wynns for Oil (often referred to as "Supercharger treatment") in the oil filler cap.
    it is like treacle, makes you oil much higher viscosity with no appreciable issues. I have run several old bangers on this stuff and short of stripping engine/cylinder heads it tends to solve the problem.
    You may find you need to chuck another can in now and then but at a fiver a pop it is a fix worth trying out before you commit hundreds/thousands to replacement or repair.

what colour is your dark exhaust? if black then on the whole that is too much fuel. If Blue then it tends to show oil in the combustion chamber, if White then it is usually steam from coolant or condensation.

not always easy to tell if it is all three.
    once blew up an engine and full throttle and the resultant smoke was brown!
    thanks B, more black-ish

Start with doing a good service on the bike. All the components you will change could give the symptoms you describe. Spark plug either not properly adjusted, with a crack in the ceramic or simply needing replaced can do it under load (also well worth looking at the high tension lead for wear or cracks), a semi blocked fuel filter, or semi blocked air filter can both do it. Badly adjusted Valve clearances can also do this.
    Can you get a loan of a compression tester. Check the compression - this will let you know the condition of rings, valves etc Engines that have leaking valve seals leak oil into the cylinder all the time and not just while going uphill. The exhaust from the bike would be blue/black even on the flat. Start the bike and let it tick over for a few minutes (from cold a good few minutes till it heats up). Rev the engine and see how much smoke comes from it - this gives an indication to engine wear.
    Most quad bikes have a spark arrester. The exhaust system must be purged of accumulated carbon. On my honda there is a a small squared headed bolt under the expansion chamber of the exhaust. There is a procedure to go through of loosing this bolt and creating back pressure in the exhaust. I am sure that there will be a procedure to do this on your bike but DO NOT do it in your garage - you won't be able to see to get back out.
    If you fancy sticking "quick fix" oil in the sump go ahead but a word of warning - quads run on motor cycle engines which require good quality synthetic oil. Mix this with "quick fix stuff" and you will have a mixture like glue.
    Last edited by Gazza; 23-08-2011 at 09:30.

[QUOTE=bewsher500;250814]yes, it is usually associated with higher mileage engine with worn components that leak/weep oil under pressure (i.e. load).
    it is like treacle, makes you oil much higher viscosity with no appreciable issues.

do this on a quad with a wet clutch and you might regret it. Motorcycle and quad oil is not same as car oil. do some research.

Black smoke is overfuelling, blue smoke is oil. The last time I had this the issue was the fuel going into the sump bypassing a faulty fuel tank tap. Check the oil level and smell it. If it has petrol in it you have the same not uncommon problem.

the quad was a yamaha big bear. new oil and air filter and a dog leg fuel filter before the carb sorted.

I also manually turn off the fuel tap over night.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by 308boy; 23-08-2011 at 11:22.