Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sika Rut

Sika Rut

Just heard from friends in the Ross Shire area that the first Sika calls have been heard. Hope it is a good one this year!

Thats a bit early no?

I thought they start at the end of September?

Account Suspended
    View my Gallery (35)View my Gallery (35)
    Thats only in england,up here in the highlands we are way ahead,something to do with we are closer to japan ?i heard them at it a week ago,you learn something new every day

I said on another post that a spiker we shot last night already seemed to have that 'smell' about him. I big stag last weekend chased another young beast past the high-seat I was in and it looked like he would kill him if he caught it. The stags already are growing a mane round the neck area and starting to break off from their groups. i think the crap weather we have had here and relatively low temperatures are going to bring it on a bit earlier this year.

That's a bummer - I shoot sika when at home here in Ireland but as is my tradition (Us Irish like our traditional routes) I will be in the Hebrides for the most of September and it is looking like I will not be shooting in Ireland until near the end of October this year. Could someone not have a word with them and ask them to wait?

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    That's a bummer - I shoot sika when at home here in Ireland but as is my tradition (Us Irish like our traditional routes) I will be in the Hebrides for the most of September and it is looking like I will not be shooting in Ireland until near the end of October this year. Could someone not have a word with them and ask them to wait?
    We can hear them whistling through November into December here sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    We can hear them whistling through November into December here sometimes.
    I would say that last year they whistled into early November here in Northern Ireland however I'm pretty certain that by the middle of November the forest was silent again.

I watched one whistling near Swanage, Dorset last week. Not that familiiar with Sika , do they have to be rutting to whistle?

Account Suspended
    View my Gallery (35)View my Gallery (35)
    no just if they see a nice chick

When the leaves turn the sika turn, can't wait for the first whistles of this year up on mine