Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: boot care

boot care

just wondering what you lads use in terms of boot care, I bought a pair of meindl boots looking at what would be the best option for them. Cheers,

Mo

Hello Mo,

MAKE SURE THAT YOUR BOOTS FIT WELL YOU BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE!!!

If they're leather then kiwi polish, you don't have to shine them up either, shiny boots make you visible.

If they're synthetic then just brush them off.

Either way to break them in full with HOT WATER, leave 10 mins, put 2 pairs of socks on, pour out water, place boots on feet and wear until dry.

If they're waterproof and loose their waterproof qualities, use Sealskin Long socks (one size bigger than normal shoe size) over your normal socks, they're great.

Enjoy
    Rob

I have a goodly number of boots of various types ranging from full mountain boots to the Mendil high leg stalking boots. I usually have 4 - 6 pairs at various stages of wear at any one time. It must be said that I've never had to engage in the complex break in processes detailed above though, clearly, it would be unwise to head out for a day at red stags with a brand new pair of boots.

Generally I just use the nicwax "aqueous wax" or "waterproofing wax for leather" on all my boots and it seems to work well for me. It comes as a liquid in a plastic bottle with a little sponge type thing on the top to allow you to apply it. My experience is that the sponge thing soon gets ripped and so doesn't last long so I would apply it with a cloth or the like.

Quote Originally Posted by rjohnscuba View Post
    Hello Mo,

MAKE SURE THAT YOUR BOOTS FIT WELL YOU BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE!!!

If they're leather then kiwi polish, you don't have to shine them up either, shiny boots make you visible.

If they're synthetic then just brush them off.

Either way to break them in full with HOT WATER, leave 10 mins, put 2 pairs of socks on, pour out water, place boots on feet and wear until dry.

If they're waterproof and loose their waterproof qualities, use Sealskin Long socks (one size bigger than normal shoe size) over your normal socks, they're great.

Enjoy
    Rob
    you fill your brand new boots with hot water?!
    seriously?

never heard of this.
    its the outside that needs breaking in, not the inside.

on the proofing, if leather I use wax based waterproofing as it tends to stay on longer, that said I have a pair of 20 year old boots that have some serious miles on them that have never leaked.
    Nikwax products are good...so are yeti gaitors!

Used to fill boots with water in the military ,even knew blokes who piŁŁed in them as they reckoned it made them more supple, gave that a miss myself. With the leather fireman boots at work I give them a good soaking in polish and stamp on the heels to break them in.

SNO-SEAL Leather Boot Protection

You may find this worth reading.

I first used sno-seal on proper walking boots that had no waterproof liner some 25 years ago. The product must work as it is still on the go. I personally have found nothing better but applying can take a bit of time if you want to gently heat the leather with a hairdryer as it allows the boot to soak up the wax.

Great boots, I use Burma Pro's and Douvre's, and use what Meindl recommend - Meindl Sportwax

Meindl Sportwax Leather Waterproofing - Packyourbags Travel Store

Just the job

Rb

Mink oil and or bear grease i find the best expencive mind but worth it
    Save Water Drink Single Malt

Hiya, On my Mouflon boots, I use Nikwax waterproofing..developed for Goretax and breathable boots...has done the job all last winter, and will do it this winter...

I wear Lowa GTX Combats for work everyday and Meindl Borneo boots for most other things. I use Nikwax Fabric and Leather proof spray and also use Lowa Active Cream when the waterproofing spray is dry. I've never had any issues with this combination in terms of water leaking into my boots. I also use Kiwi Parade Gloss from time to time on my Lowas as these need to be kept smart for work. As long as the leather is kept supple and not allowed to crack on the creases you shouldn't have many problems.
    Best Regards,
    Adrian.

Jedward. The reason why there are two barrels on a shotgun.